starting strength gym
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: When did you stop doing power cleans?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I have some perverse desire to go three-wheeling on the power clean. I'm not there yet, with a max single of 245. I do them twice per week. One session 8x3 (light, currently 140lb), and the other session heavy.

So, until I go three-wheeling, I must continue on. Whether they help my deadlift or not is unknown at this point.

wtf is a powerclean?

you mean reverse curls?

seriously they dont do anything for my main lifts (SQ/BP/DL)

i agree if youre PLing like tom said get some pull volume in with stuff like RDL, SLDL, or Speed Deads

When failed to have enough time to dedicate to driving them up and getting all my squat volume in. Made the sessions drag too long. I'd still do them if I had more time to train.

Power clean best is 290 I think? Clean and jerked 321. Pull 625. Ill return to more power cleaning later this year to get 315

A big thing too is the way I clean is not the SS model. I learned the catapult method and that setup is TOTALLY different than my deadlift.

everything from feet position, back angle, grip width, grip style is different.

I do however think the clean is an excellent movement (duhhhhhh).

Just doesnt fit my personal goals, like, at all.

Also depending on the clean to boost your comp deadlift is a lot like depending on the overhead press to drive your competitive bench up...

both great movements on their own and own purposes. Not so hot at driving the dead or bench. IMO

cacafuego Guest

The vertical bar path enables the athlete to move as much weight as possible. I see no purpose for the catapult/s-curve if the goal is to lift the greatest amount of weight. With the bar positioned over mid foot it will remain in this plane through through the second pull.

Quote Originally Posted by cacafuego View Post
    The vertical bar path enables the athlete to move as much weight as possible. I see no purpose for the catapult/s-curve if the goal is to lift the greatest amount of weight. With the bar positioned over mid foot it will remain in this plane through through the second pull.
    oh fuck what have I done.

If you care about the deadlift, deadlift more. if you want to power clean and deadlift then do that too.

try it all out and see what sticks.

cacafuego Guest

Can I ask why you changed your technique though?

nah im good

cacafuego Guest

No reason to keep it a secret. This board is supposed to be educational. So, maybe you can help out other forum-goers.

starting strength coach development program
    strong effort

Im good. I dont clean at all anymore so do as you please.

You wanna talk about unhealthy back angle deadlifts tho, I can talk about that all day.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast