starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Light weight feels pretty heavy?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Kundahli View Post
    I dont doubt your strength.

You've missed the point though. A 200lb 5 rep max does not "come to" a 230lb 1RM until you actually put up 230lbs for a single. Until you bench it that 230lbs is just an estimate. If you use 230 as your max in your programming you may end up programming too high or too low. In essence you're programming off a guess.

What Im saying is, the aforementioned points could explain why the weights feel heavy to you: Your estimated 1RM is not your true 1RM
    But I didn't do that. I programmed the program based off my 5RMs. I subtracted 90 pounds off my 5RMs. I just said the reason it was so hard is because I was lifting it slowly. That was the case for today. I'll check bench on Monday. My estimated 1RM on bench is 230. My estimated 1RM on squat is 350 for ATG. I have squatted 365 for a parallel before all of this. So I think if my old 1RM is 365 and my new 1RM for ATG is 350 then I should think my current 1RM for a parallel is pretty fucking high since there is a big difference between ATG and low bar.

That is all I am saying by that stuff. I did not enter anything wrong. Last program I entered numbers well below what the program said I could do with my 1RMs. For SS I just did what Rip said which was to subtract 90 pounds off your 5RMs and get them on week 4 or week 6. I even chose week 6 to be on the safe side. Honestly I think because I was lifting slow that is what fucked me up. I have been lifting slow because when I hit my current 5RMS i took like 3-5 sec breathes between reps.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

There are a whole lot of things rubbing me the wrong way about this, but I'll put all those aside for now...

When the weight gets big enough, it will always feel heavy. This is normal, don't worry about it. What matters is whether or not you completed the set.

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    There are a whole lot of things rubbing me the wrong way about this, but I'll put all those aside for now...

When the weight gets big enough, it will always feel heavy. This is normal, don't worry about it. What matters is whether or not you completed the set.
    Yeah because I am cocky and sound like I am full of shit because it happens so often that people claiming things are... full of shit. But everything I said being true I think it's because I have been lifting the weight slow. It's been said when you lift slow you lift slow. I'll report back on Monday.

Alright here are vids of me lifting.

Bench 200x3
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lB4aNtx...ture=c4-feed-u

Squat 295x3
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lD35OdAVWiE

Those are the vids I have. Didn't feel like videoing 295x5 because people in my gym would get annoyed I hit prs all the time.

When you lift slow you don't effectively use the almighty stretch reflex. Some argue that slow, controlled lifting is more indicative of true strength. Thats besides the point though. Lifting fast eccentrically will make the weights feel lighter because of the stretch reflex. Lesson learned I guess.

Default Light weight feels pretty heavy?

Keep those knees out. I cringed watching that.

But I'm sure you know this.

You should save up for real weightlifting shoes so you don't need to stand on plates.

Quote Originally Posted by elVarouza View Post
    You should save up for real weightlifting shoes so you don't need to stand on plates.
    This Christmas. And I think my knees look fine. I would not call it "knee caving in" as my right knee moved in a little. I know its bad but so is butt winking and Rip said that isn't even bad; only in extreme excess. My knees are not an inch from touching each other.

Your knees don't look fine.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl Schudt View Post
    Your knees don't look fine.
    Well alright. I'll fix it. Thank you.

EDIT:

Jesus I just looked at videos of people with "knees caving in" and their one knee moved a fucking centimeter. For about 8 months I have been trying to understand the "butt wink" only to hear from Rip it's nothing. I guess I am gonna spend a lot of time with this now too.
    Last edited by Kaplowitz; 11-03-2013 at 02:50 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast