starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Banded Flossing - Considerations for Recovery?

Default Banded Flossing - Considerations for Recovery?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I asked this on the coaches forum and got nothing so thought I’d ask here as well.
    At the beginning of last week I started doing some MWods that use banded flossing (the use of resistance bands to pull the joint into a favourable position to allow for a more effective stretch) to try and address some chronic problems with my hips and shoulders. They seem to be having the desired effect, but my performance in the 4 training sessions I’ve had since I started this has been abysmal. I’ve felt great through all warm ups, unusually so, no niggles or pain that I typically have to deal with during the first few sets, but once I’ve got to the work sets I’ve just tanked. I’m talking getting just two reps on a weight I would expect to get 6 or 7 on, going life and death with volume sets after taking 5+ mins rest a time on a weight I can normally fly through on about two minutes rest.

For the first two session there were other things I thought were the more likely explanations (related to being in England the weekend before for my dad’s 60th and the effects of the travelling, several days without creatine etc), but that becomes less likely with each additional poor session. I haven’t felt fatigued or sore in the way I typically would when trying to undertake a training session while under recovered, but I'm left with no other explanations that I can see.

I'm not doing any of these drills immediately before training so I know there is no acute effect, but am now wondering if anyone has experienced any significant recovery issue using these mobility techniques?

I do a bunch of these mobility drills & have had no issues with force development. I doubt the correlation. The lack of creatine, however, could really have messed you up.

That and sleep tend to be what I worry about whenever I make that trip, but it rebounds quickly enough. I typically take one easy session to get back into the flow and im able to continue with my previous progression from there. I think it was also only 4 days without creatine.

Good to know that you havent had any issues with these drills though. Thanks, John.

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    What program and weights are you lifting that only typically takes 2 minutes of recovery between sets?

I can't imagine taking less than five minutes and completing my sets (volume or intensity).
    TM 5x5. Its fairly early in the progression and so simply doesnt require much more time. I ahve the capacity to push my volume days far beyond my capacity to recover from them so trying to keep rest short is also a effective way to prevent me doing that. I'll extend the rest interval as needed, I just dont need to take any long right now.

That may be so (but it isn't), but it's certainly not why I've experienced such a precipitous decrease in performance over the past week and a bit. I can push the volume sessions far more than I have been, but I heave learned from experience that such an approach doesn't necessarily work.

I appreciate the interest, but you are barking up the wrong tree. I'm not trying to be evasive, but continuing probing the idea of too light a volume weight would just be a distraction.
    Last edited by LimieJosh; 01-21-2014 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LimieJosh View Post
    I appreciate the interest, but you are barking up the wrong tree. I'm not trying to be evasive, but continuing probing the idea of too light a volume weight would just be a distraction.
    I do my volume sessions with 3 mins rest also. This week:
    Bench 5x5 at 105kg / 231.5lbs (~86.5% of intensity weight)
    Press 5x5 at 71kg / 156.5lbs (~87.5% of intensity weight)

It's doable. I forced the adaptation that I wanted by controlling my rest times strictly as I built up. If I had been using 5-8 mins rest like other people, attempting to drop to 3mins now would obviously end badly.

I think flossing your teeth is way more important.

The old dudes at my gym floss their asses with the rented towels, but I don't think this counts.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Stroup View Post
    I think flossing your teeth is way more important.
    Halitosis scares the bar and makes the bar push back against you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast