starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the Manta Ray Ok or am i being a pussy?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I used one up until I was told I couldn't use it on a powerlifting meet. I donated mine to the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by mwhities View Post
    I used one up until I was told I couldn't use it on a powerlifting meet. I donated mine to the gym.
    ^^ says the guy with 1 arm

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    It is used as part of the conjugate rotation on max day. Do some research...
    You answered none of my questions.
    If you can't critically analyse your shitty advise, don't give it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Tandy View Post
    You answered none of my questions.
    If you can't critically analyse your shitty advise, don't give it.
    I have good advice, it's your questions that are shitty.
    Do you even lift?

I have good advice, it's your questions that are shitty.
    Do you even lift?
    Still no analysis. An ad hominem because you don't understand the bullshit concept you're trying to spout. On the defensive because you have nothing of value to say on the topic and you know it.

OP!!! Do as he says!!!
    Why?
    Fucking bro-science.

It's obvious you know nothing about building strength.

It's obvious you know nothing about building strength.
    Kindly show us how.
    I'd love you see YOUR athletes, data and analysis.

How does a longer moment arm at the hip, help lumbar erector strength MORE than a more inclined back angle with more assistance from the hamstrings and adductors would?

More force IS required by those erectors at a more severe angle+more weight than with a marginally longer M.A+less weight.
    You are a fool if you think otherwise.

Remember Shugg, people are often strong *despite* what they do not because of it.
    Show me your analysis.

It is used as a max effort lift, and on this day it is all about the squat/deadlift variations than the actual lift itself. The Manta Ray makes a very high bar position for the squat increasing the distance of the barbell from the lifter's hips and puts a little more emphasis on low back strength in the squat. It changes the COG and creates a different groove for the squat. Getting your weak points stronger will make your strong points stronger.

Like I said, it's just another tool for getting stronger. Take it or leave it.

calm down lads.

i will continue to use it for the moment as it allows me to squat without the problems i use to get.

i never intend on competing so i am not worried about that.

really that video of rip explaining bar position and grip etc has helped a lot.

my grip was text book wrong and this alone has made a big difference.

starting strength coach development program
    The Manta Ray is actually a useful device to strengthen the lower back by creating a longer lever arm between the bar and your lower back.
    Westside Barbell uses them for this purpose and I don't consider the lifters there pussies. It's just another tool to build strength.
    Guys, there is no special analysis for the Manta Ray device or studies or whatever. Using this puts extra stress on the erectors and makes for a different kind of exercise. There are a myriad of ways to do squats. It's been said that Westside Barbell advocates using this. Keep in mind that Westside Barbell is also a business and they sell Manta Ray devices. They also sell bands and reverse hyper machines. Give Louis Simmons a little credit for being not only a strength coach but also a marketer of products.
    One of Louie Simmons' many articles:
    http://www.westside-barbell.com/inde.../395-the-squat
    An excerpt:
    "The Manta Ray device forces one to do a super-Olympic-style squat. The Manta Ray will cause the bar placement to be 2 or 3 inches above the top of the shoulder, causing the lifter to stay very upright. I suggest that Olympic lifters implement this into their training as well as the belt squat."

You can't lift as much using a Manta as a low bar squat but then again nobody said they could.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast