starting strength gym
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: Why does Ilya half squat?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    The fatigue, muscle CSA trained, and ROM would not be the same in the test group. It matters, IMO.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    The fatigue, muscle CSA trained, and ROM would not be the same in the test group. It matters, IMO.
    It does matter to the precision of the findings, and would make the results more valuable from a basic science perspective, but in the real world we would rarely be working with a trainee with the exact sticking point studied. A less narrow study design with more generalizable results would not be substantially more likely to produce a false positive. I agree that it might fail to show a benefit where one existed, but if it requires such precise comparison to detect a result the result is probably not worth pursuing.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    It does matter to the precision of the findings, and would make the results more valuable from a basic science perspective, but in the real world we would rarely be working with a trainee with the exact sticking point studied. A less narrow study design with more generalizable results would not be substantially more likely to produce a false positive. I agree that it might fail to show a benefit where one existed, but if it requires such precise comparison to detect a result the result is probably not worth pursuing.
    That's kind of been part of my point all along. I have no qualms with admitting that there is potential application for partial ROM lifts where they may produce a better result than the full ROM. However, I do not think the difference in outcomes is very large nor do I think any change in outcome(s) is directly tied into the ROM (i.e. it is some other factor). In order to change my thinking, however, I would like to see a study where they took 20 trained powerlifters (FAU anyone?) and had 7 of them use competition bench as their only bench movement in training. 7 would use a mix of comp bench and partial ROM bench (e.g. 2 board) and 6 would use 2 board only. I would have the lifters always use RPE and a tendo unit to monitor fatigue, volume, and bar metrics. After 10-12 weeks, I'd retest 1RM competition bench press.

It's not so much about the "exact sticking point" per se', as it is using a definable/repeatable partial ROM lift in the experimental group(s) that at least allows for standardization. Just my 0.02.

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324