starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength Elevator Speech

Default Starting Strength Elevator Speech

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Recently members of my commercial gym have been approaching me at an increased rate asking for tips on squats and deads. I don't really know why this is as I'm not exceptionally strong. Reasons aside, I try to give them a few tips out of SS then direct them towards "The Book". I'm not really comfortable doing any more than that as I don't want to be responsible for them making a mess of things.

I was curious how you guys, as coaches, approach these situations. Obviously you don't want to take a ton of time out of your own workouts to help these folks, but you also don't want to leave their earnest desire to learn unanswered. With that in mind, do you have an "elevator speech" you give these individuals, a talk maybe 3-5 minutes in length explaining the program, book, and other starting strength resources they can access? If so I'd love to hear it.

Not to be too self-serving here, but this issue is what prompted me to write this article: http://startingstrength.com/index.ph...s#.U36YC1hdXBw

While the whole thing spelled out point-by-point is too long for an elevator pitch, you can use it to create a short "This is why we do what we do" speech. If you wanted to make it REALLY short, you could simply say something like "Full range of motion barbell exercises, done with slightly increasing weights as often as possible, are the best way to work the entire body as a complete system, which improves all aspects of athletic development and increases health and functional capacity better than any other tool or system out there." If they want to know more, you can get into details.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Not to be too self-serving here, but this issue is what prompted me to write this article: http://startingstrength.com/index.ph...s#.U36YC1hdXBw

While the whole thing spelled out point-by-point is too long for an elevator pitch, you can use it to create a short "This is why we do what we do" speech. If you wanted to make it REALLY short, you could simply say something like "Full range of motion barbell exercises, done with slightly increasing weights as often as possible, are the best way to work the entire body as a complete system, which improves all aspects of athletic development and increases health and functional capacity better than any other tool or system out there." If they want to know more, you can get into details.
    A great line. Am bringing 2 friends along to my training this afternoon, and I'll be repeating this to them

I just hit a Most Muscular Pose and everybody gets in line to train with me. That's my marketing plan

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    I just hit a Most Muscular Pose and everybody gets in line to train with me. That's my marketing plan
    if my speech doesn't work I may have to try this too....

This is good.

Also, humping people's legs is an underutilized strategy. I think Warren Buffett said that.

Just as in barbell coaching, usually the most genetically gifted athletes are not good coaches because it comes so easily to them, that they never have to think about why, or get good at explaining how. So too here, Andy obviously uses his storied history gracing the pages of FLEX MAGAZINE and just convinces people to do as he says out of sheer muscular brutality. Those of us mere mortals however, must try to use our words. Ineffective as our efforts may be compared to Titans like "Biceps Baker," we do our humble best.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    This is good.

Also, humping people's legs is an underutilized strategy. I think Warren Buffett said that.
    My comrade! I cannot believe you'd blemish the sacred walls of Our Forum with the name of that capitalist swine. But it must be admitted, the strategy is sound.

Just as in barbell coaching, usually the most genetically gifted athletes are not good coaches because it comes so easily to them, that they never have to think about why, or get good at explaining how. So too here, Andy obviously uses his storied history gracing the pages of FLEX MAGAZINE and just convinces people to do as he says out of sheer muscular brutality. Those of us mere mortals however, must try to use our words. Ineffective as our efforts may be compared to Titans like "Biceps Baker," we do our humble best.

This is good.

My comrade! I cannot believe you'd blemish the sacred walls of Our Forum with the name of that capitalist swine. But it must be admitted, the strategy is sound.

This would never work for Kundahli. Too skinny.

starting strength coach development program

Also, humping people's legs is an underutilized strategy.
    Not by me. Leg humping made me what I am today.

I think Warren Buffett said that.
    Yep. I was humping his leg when he said it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast