starting strength gym

Thread: chins and tricep pain

Default chins and tricep pain

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Has been an issue for three weeks, and was a sudden onset.

Any attempt to initiate a chin-up results in acute pain from elbow to shoulder on the back of my right arm. I'm not up on my anatomy but I'm guessing it runs through the triceps long head up through the posterior deltoid.

I was able to fight through it for a couple of weeks and get the reps in (I noted it felt better on second and third sets), but today I couldn't work past it on the first rep. Tried a few more times and let it go. Previously I was able to do approx. 5 reps a set.

Pain is also noticeable during squats - a dull ache that's most noticeable when getting into position. Dull ache also comes and goes during the day. It doesn't interfere with pressing at all; in fact had a great bench press session today.

I've looked up tendonitis and long head tears but am not able to determine what this could be. Would appreciate any hints.

Thanks all -

http://startingstrength.com/resource...273#post902273

If you can't chin, try the other suggestions. Post a form check for your squat from the back so we can clearly see your grip.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

For the last few months I had symptoms that were indistinguishable from bicep and elbow tendinitis. Turned out it was actually a tricep strain near the back of the shoulder, which very closely mimicked bicep tendinitis. Sports massage therapist tortured me for a half hour over two sessions (just on the left arm) and I moist-heated and stretched the triceps twice a day. I'm now squatting completely painlessly for the first time in 3 or 4 months.

Just something else to consider, I guess. Sometimes these things can be very hard to tell apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNJX...ature=youtu.be

Squat set shot from behind, as requested. This is from this morning, second set of 3, at a weight I stalled at about three weeks ago. Reset and got all reps today. I think my grip's alright, but I'll leave that to those who know better.

On the vitamin I protocol as suggested and I'm working high-rep seated cable pull-downs. Haven't gotten a massage yet but looking into local practices. Pain was more localized at the posterior deltoid and top of long head today. Attempted one chin-up after a few sets of light pull-downs and pain is still prohibitive. Doesn't affect any other lifts other than chins.

Thank you very much for your help, Paul and Brodie.

Grip is fine. See what happens after the full 5 days of ibuprofen.