starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat check 105 kilo

Default Squat check 105 kilo

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    This was a pretty awfull set I did last night, my knees are all over the place + my ankle collapse.
    I am thinking wrong about knees out I think. To hold your knees in place your external rotators need to be working hard, to let this happen you only need to think about knees out? So you don't exactly thnk about your external rotators?
    Also the last few sessions I noticed the bar want to roll upward..especially the last 2 reps. Is this because of my crappy knee position or bad grip?

This is the set: http://youtu.be/4q0iEw9LGrc
    105 kilo

Aside from a little knee-jab at the bottom your knees look okay. So how about we talk about what you do in the bottom 1/3 of the rep? Why are you going slower slower slower and then hurry up for the last 3-4" on the way down? You don't think that's a problem? It's especially bad and most clearly visible on your last rep. Also, Even from this angle, it looks to be like your toes aren't turned out enough, and that your stance is too wide. But it could be the angle, and I could be wrong. But I don't think so. From this angle, I can't see any bar movement on your shoulders. I see a lot of "this weight is very heavy" movement, and a lot of "lifter needs to eat."

Aside from that, you need to stick with driving hips up. You start there, but then start lifting your chest when it becomes a struggle. Watch rep 4 for this.
    Last edited by Steve Hill; 06-05-2014 at 01:30 PM.

Spot on analysis Steve, I never really realized the hurry up movement..that's why I probably get to loose at the bottom.
    This gives me a lot to work on..thanks!

Tightness at the bottom fixes a bunch of shit, all primarily looseness-related.

Steve, what do you think of these?
    I did my first workset with 105kg, but couldn't maintain tightness enough.
    I decided to do dial back to 95kg.
    I think the first 4 reps where decent hence the speed, last rep i got too loose again.
    They felt slow and harder, maybe that's a good thing.

3th set 95 kilo: http://youtu.be/7dfCThYeyc8

I'm out of town until Sunday morning and have only my phone. I'll lok at them when I get home. Perhaps another staff member can offer some input before then.

Steve

No problemo.

Except for that last one (which you let get forward), these look really good. Now, think exploding out of the bottom, like a jump. You're bouncing off the tightness.

Will do sir! Last question regarding the last rep, the reason why it came forward is that because I wanted to stay to vertical? I have the feeling (when it gets heavy) I want to stay to vertical is that correct?

Your time and feedback is much appreciated Steve , thanks.

starting strength coach development program
    Steve what do you think about knees sliding back at the start of the ascent, do you see that as something that needs fixing? I ask as I'm having the same problem. Is it a hips up rather than back thing?

To my untrained eye these look decent Fr, just picked up on that as it's something I'm focused on at the moment!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast