starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check please

Default Deadlift form check please

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi,

Here is my deadlift starting back up again after a meet. How bad is it? Hips shooting up? I already read the sticky thread. Do you think I should lower the weight more?

Here's the lift: http://youtu.be/WR41pH43ArI

Thanks

You may have read the sticky, my friend, but you're not following it's instructions. Particularly steps three and four - instead of doing them as written, you're mashing them together into one, and while doing so, are dropping your hips in lieu of squeezing your chest up into position and setting your back. This is causing your hips to need to rise before the bar breaks the floor, getting your shoulders back over the bar.

It may be hard to believe, but just sticking doing the steps one by one as written in the sticky will fix this. Step 3, shins to bar, knees out. Step 4 - WITHOUT DROPPING YOUR HIPS, squeeze chest up and set your back hard. That's it. Do that and you'll fix this.

Thanks. The problem I have is I think I have a hard time setting my back. Other times, I think my hips are at the right height, but my back isn't set. When I think I have my back set, my hips are too low so they shoot up first. I can never get my hips at the right height and back set.

Here are some other vids for reference, where I think my hips are good, but back is not set. Sorry they are singles

http://youtu.be/Nn0Kqd8gt18

http://youtu.be/XE_MpjhKKAc

I'll post a video of my next working set.

Unfortunately both of these videos show the same thing - you keep dropping your hips further, instead of setting them at the height they are at when your shins touch the bar, and then just squeezing up from there. Though you do this less so in the rep at the meet.

I could probably fix this in a few minutes with you in person, but it seems that text communication isn't helping you understand the difference between what you're doing and what we (and physics) want you to do to be more efficient in your pulling. Perhaps a visual will help.

Not to be self-serving or to suggest this is a perfect pull, but can you see the difference in how I set up, establish the height of my hips, and then just squeeze up from there, in this pull?

Watch it a few times and compare to what you do, and to the instructions in the sticky. See if this makes things clearer for you.

I see. There is a pause between step 3 and 4. It is the squeezing up of the chest that I don't do. I'll post another video this week to see if there is an improvement.

starting strength coach development program
    Yes, step 3 is step 3 and step 4 is step 4. It's not step threefour. Squeeze chest up and get your whole back locked in extension without dropping your hips. Let's see what it looks like next time.