starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on height and lifting

Default Your thoughts on height and lifting

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Spoke to a guy who has been powerlifting since high school (mid 30's now) and has a 650 squat. He's a recreational lifter and doesn't care to do meets etc. He mentioned that at 6'4 it will be hard to get up to a heavy squat (405 and above) as a recreational lifter because of the long levers and distance the bar travels, unless you gain a shit ton of weight.

Any tall lifters here and what was your experience with heavy PR's? I'm divorced now and dieted down from 270 to 232lbs. In March of 2013 I did Texas Method and did 295x5x5 on volume day and 1RM was 370.

I'm 232lbs now and did 285x5x3 yesterday. Haven't tried 1RM on a diet yet. 40lbs of fat mass difference and 10lbs away from my TM volume day weights. In a way I guess I"m stronger.

w x sets x reps

SQ. 285 x5x3
    DL. 370 x2x5
    Bench. 222.5 x3x5
    OHP. 122.5 x4x4

My numbers are all over the place. Not done dieting yet but trying to keep the weight on the bar. Different goals for now but I feel like these numbers are low. I do some back off sets when I'm done with the heavy ones. I like the volume.

Appreciate the input.

I'm the same height as you, weigh about 8 lbs more. My squat and press worksets are higher than yours, my bench and DL worksets are lower than yours. I feel I'm nowhere near my potential yet, and see no issue is squatting or deadlifting over 4 plates in a few months if I keep eating. Three years ago I was an extremely fat, soft 250, and I'd love to exceed that weight soon, just with a lot more muscle mass than I used to have.

I think you're looking for excuses to limit yourself. And that you should stop.

http://70sbig.com/blog/2013/03/70s-big-attitude-2/

Quote Originally Posted by WorkoutNick View Post
    I'm the same height as you, weigh about 8 lbs more. My squat and press worksets are higher than yours, my bench and DL worksets are lower than yours. I feel I'm nowhere near my potential yet, and see no issue is squatting or deadlifting over 4 plates in a few months if I keep eating. Three years ago I was an extremely fat, soft 250, and I'd love to exceed that weight soon, just with a lot more muscle mass than I used to have.
    That's good to know man. What are you numbers now? Do you pull sumo or conventional style?

Current worksets...

Squat
    310x5x3

Deadlift
    335x5

Bench
    175x5x3

Press
    127.5x5x3

Power Clean
    150x1x10

I pull conventional. Never really pulled sumo before. Bench and press are both deloaded and rebuilding.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    I think you're looking for excuses to limit yourself. And that you should stop.

http://70sbig.com/blog/2013/03/70s-big-attitude-2/
    Great read. Your thoughts are your own. Losing 40lbs and trying to keep lifting sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by WorkoutNick View Post
    Current worksets...

Squat
    310x5x3

Deadlift
    335x5

Bench
    175x5x3

Press
    127.5x5x3

Power Clean
    150x1x10

I pull conventional. Never really pulled sumo before. Bench and press are both deloaded and rebuilding.
    Good stuff man. I can't remember the last time I squatted over 300lbs. It breaks my heart so much.

You're likely to have a lift you do well, and one or two you don't. People are generally pressers or pullers. Who cares? Get stronger in all of them.

Fer example: in another thread, a guy was complaining that his squat was ahead of his deadlift. Was something wrong? Well, Karwoski's squat was significantly higher than his deadlift. Nothing's wrong. Just get stronger.

f*cking deadlift. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Schudt View Post
    You're likely to have a lift you do well, and one or two you don't. People are generally pressers or pullers. Who cares? Get stronger in all of them.

Fer example: in another thread, a guy was complaining that his squat was ahead of his deadlift. Was something wrong? Well, Karwoski's squat was significantly higher than his deadlift. Nothing's wrong. Just get stronger.

f*cking deadlift. . .
    True. I feel stronger than I was when I was 270lbs. I'm only 10lbs away from my volume weights mind a few reps too. Deadlift was 455 for 3 reps so that's lagging now as well. I threw my back out once and I think psychologically i'm paranoid of pulling more and more. It set me back to all weight was taken off, bar only.
    I need iron therapy or some shit.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm sure this guy would argue that point
    http://laughingsquid.com/actor-hafth...ts-994-pounds/

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast