starting strength gym

Thread: Lifting Belts and the Lower Back

Default Lifting Belts and the Lower Back

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Coaches,

On my previous attempt to dead lift 500 lbs, I was a little excited and let my back round a bit during a warmup rep at around 405 and I injured my lower back and my excitement turned for the worse. I was being stupid and not taking my time…story of my life. My lower back was really sore, slightly sore now, but using the muscles makes it feel really good.

So, bro at the gym says I need a lifting belt and that wouldn’t have happened. Is he correct? I know that I let my form go to shit, especially since it was a lighter weight. I lifted 495 the week prior, no problems at all.

On a side note, the bro was wearing a lifting belt while doing some sort of “power clean” where he began the bar acceleration right off the floor, paused in the hang position, then jump pressed the weight over his head. He even had a mild split with his legs while doing his final “jump press”. This looked like hell for my shoulders, lower back, etc. I don’t think he should have been doing this and I question his judgment. I have been seeing more and more people do “jump press” the bar – what is this??

As always, thank you for your input.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by KennyRogers View Post
    So, bro at the gym says I need a lifting belt and that wouldn’t have happened. Is he correct?
    No. It is quite possible to tweak your back wearing a belt. That being said, you should probably wear a belt.

A belt just because it's good practice? I was thinking that going as long I could without one would help continue to strengthen the back muscles. I am assuming a belt helps by taking reliance off the muscle group.

A belt helps by allowing you to produce a harder abdominal contraction, which, in turn, creates more stability around the spine. A more stable spine means more of the force you generate pushing against the floor will be transmitted to the bar. You will be able to lift more weight with proper form and get those back muscles even stronger. Make sense?

Got it. Thank you!