starting strength gym

Thread: Super Sevens?

Default Super Sevens?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    An older guy (76) came up to me between sets in the gym the other day, and complimented me on my lifting (must have been technique, because the weights aren't much). Turns out he had been a power lifter, started in his late 50s, and won his age / weight class in a national meet in 2009. Naturally, I asked him for some ideas about how people our age could best get stronger. He said that "all" power lifters used "super sevens", starting with near max weight for 7 reps, dropping a little weight, 7 more reps, etc. for seven sets. Generally worked one lift per day, working out six days per week, probably with assistance exercises.

Anybody heard of this? Comments on effectiveness, and why it's not popular any more? Sounds like it has plenty of volume and intensity, but that it might be a bit much for older lifters to recover from.

Sounds like old school bro science, aka bro natural philosophy.

It is a pretty similar number of sets (including warmups) to say, 531, but how do you determine your drop set weights? Why 7 reps at the top set? Etc. I'm sure it could be made to work with some tweaking, but then it's a different program.
    Last edited by Dave Paauwe; 06-22-2014 at 11:46 AM.

I can't say I have heard of super sevens, and I workout with some old school powerlifters. Hell, one of them was on the cover on PLUSA back in the day. :-)

I think the do the big lifts 1 time per week, periodized, working out 3-5 days per week is pretty typical of the old American style of powerlifting. This would be a higher intensity type program where you typically ramp up to a top set or two. Usually you start with higher reps in the earlier weeks (could be 7's) and then slowly work your way up to a 1RM type lift at the end of it.

Either way, super sevens might be ok for part of the program, but I would never run something like that all the way up to the meet. You can't do a "near max weight" for 7 reps, and if you did that the week before the contest, how could you really be ready for a true 1RM.

I prefer fabulous fives, terrific triples, or super singles.

just don't try tenuous tens. 'tis a ticket to trouble

Quote Originally Posted by RugbySmartarse View Post
    just don't try tenuous tens. 'tis a ticket to trouble
    For sure, that's going too far.

You guys forgot about Crazy Eights, which is two supersets of two sets of two.

How can you name all those without saying anything about fantastic fours??? Just don't forget to stretch and warm up first...

Also, don't forget the tremendous twelve. That is for after the workout... at Perkins. :-)

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by hamburgerfan View Post
    How can you name all those without saying anything about fantastic fours??? Just don't forget to stretch and warm up first...
    And certainly, you of all people should know about dynamic doubles !!