starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Goal-specific deadlift question

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubens View Post
    if you're above say 15% you're too fat to make good gains cause the fat tissue is estrogenic and secretes leptin
    Right, there are basically zero guys out there with greater than 15% body fat making "good gains."

This is the same guy who told a newb in another thread today that deadlifting with a mixed grip was "a big mistake"--without any qualifiers.

The general vibe here is not to just throw out broad generalizations unless you can provide some data or analysis to back it up, and to exhibit some epistemic modesty otherwise.

There are all sorts of reasons a 6'3" 225lb dude training for 8 months might not be deadlifting four plates, and too much BF is probably low on the list. Jesus Christ. Think.

I don't see how reducing body-fat percentage will ever help much when chasing an absolute number. It will help in reaching relative numbers like 2.5 bw deâdlift, and not being an unhealthy non-athletic fatass, which are good enough reasons alone, but let's not pretend that 500 lbs deadlift would be easier if he suddenly had a liposuction. Though deadlift specifically is said to be the lift that drops the least from losing weight.

I'm not going to argue with people who want to stay >15% BF. They simply aren't worthy. You don't have to take it from me. The info is out there.

Alternated grip is okay if you're lifting babyweight. When it gets heavy you put yourself at risk for a biceps rupture which is very common in powerlifting/strongman. And practically unheard of outside of the context of picking heavy shit up off the ground.

Hope you like long sleeves in the summer time faggots

A few points:

1.) I can likely do 4 plates. I said I hit 390 six weeks ago and haven't tested since.

2.) Thanks for your suggestions/input.

3.) I should have been clearer. I've been going to the gym for 8 months...but specifically training for strength for about 6 months. Before that...machines, smith press and so forth. And before that, running and push-ups and sit-ups. I was "fit" but not strong. I trust everyone here knows what I mean.

4.) Why get belligerent? They guy who goes down the profanity/name-calling path under the cloak of internet anonymity is the guy whose claims are likely highly exaggerated. Confident people feel no need to attack or belittle. Build up, brother.
    Last edited by ud2o; 06-26-2014 at 06:02 PM. Reason: To expand the point

I'm not going to argue with people who want to stay >15% BF. They simply aren't worthy. You don't have to take it from me. The info is out there.
    In other words, you can't refute what I said? There are lots of good reasons for having a <15% bodyfat, maximizing absolute weight lifted isn't one them. Sub-super-heavyweight powerlifters however compete against dudes of roughly the same weight with high relative strenth, which is why they need to maximize muscle/fat ratio. If powerlifting had no weight class and the total was all that mattered, the way to maximize your numbers would the same as the only open-ended class of superheavyweights do. Namely to become fat.

Box Squats with a Safety Squat Bar, Zercher Squats, Good Mornings, Dimel Deadlifts, lots of Ab work.
    The above exercises helped build my Deadlift.
    Last edited by Meshuggah; 06-26-2014 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
    Löoooooool
    x2. I have to stop coming to this part of the forums. Leptin is a satiety hormone anyway and is secreted by all adipocytes. What's the point Ruben? Is leptin responsible for de novo lipogenesis (fat creation). No. In fact, leptin inhibits lipogenesis.

Next, strength and body composition's relationship can be represented by a bell shaped curve. In the bell, let's say a BF from 8%-22% depending on the individual and all "that" entails, represents optimal strength acquisition so long as optimal programming can be sustained. Outside of this, i.e. leaner or fatter, may be inhibitory- with "leaner's" inhibitor affect on strength being described more convincingly thus far. Conversely, there appears to be some indirect inhibitor activity of "obesity" and strength that has not been elucidated yet. It may be do to extra aromatase activity, though there is data to refute that in overweight/obese ppl with normal T levels compared to their resistance training but lean counterparts. There is also data to support that testosterone levels do not affect strength improvement when in a normal physiological range.

At any rate, to the OP- I'd continue to do +5lb jumps as long as you can. When this stops, you'll need more volume- either each time you deadlift or more pulling frequency. I do not think marked exercise variation is the initial modification I'd use. Rather, I'd just deadlift more, either by doing some back off sets or another day of deadlifting that's very similar to your regular deadlift, i.e. paused deads, for instance. 500 by the end of the year is possible for sure.
    Last edited by Jordan Feigenbaum; 06-26-2014 at 07:40 PM.

Yes but my understanding is that leptin antagonizes GHRH.

Yes but my understanding is that leptin antagonizes GHRH.
    Growth hormone does little to nothing in a human adult with regards to adipose tissue and muscle mass unless someone is deficient in it (clinically).

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by ud2o View Post
    4.) Why get belligerent? They guy who goes down the profanity/name-calling path under the cloak of internet anonymity is the guy whose claims are likely highly exaggerated. Confident people feel no need to attack or belittle. Build up, brother.
    well put

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast