starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength's squat model "opinion" from other people in the gym

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I would have a hard time not telling someone off who stepped in to spot my squat with out asking. It's distracting and fucking dangerous.

I've had form discussions with some of the guys that I regularly chat with between sets, but I don't feel any obligation to explain myself to strangers. If someone asks a serious question then yes, but otherwise they get some form of "that's how I do it".

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Schuant View Post
    "Tell me about the lifts you've done using your method, and those of people you've coached."
    this doesn't work at my gym, which is owned by Jim O'Donoghue from Powerlifting Australia. All the people he has coached can out squat me, even the girls.

I generally used the "this is the way my coach taught me" as well.

"Pound sand, Fuck-face" too vague?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Jones View Post
    "Pound sand, Fuck-face" too vague?
    Made me laugh

Kyle Schuant Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RugbySmartarse View Post
    this doesn't work at my gym, which is owned by Jim O'Donoghue from Powerlifting Australia. All the people he has coached can out squat me, even the girls.
    I'd listen to him, then.

Random drongo in the gym, not so much.

Squat inside the rack instead of with a random spotter. The pins will save you, even with massive weights, and the chance of unwanted touching, or rectal opinions, or some combination of the two, is gone. Are power racks really not that common?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Schuant View Post
    I'd listen to him, then.

Random drongo in the gym, not so much.
    he still wants me to look up....

Kyle Schuant Guest

Sounds dumb to me, but I'm not Jim O'Donoghue, nor do I train a bunch of champions.

I use what works for me and my lifters because the advice I've got directly from Rip is the best I've got available to me. If I were working in a gym with people with more experience than me, I'd listen to them, at the very least discuss it with them.

Haha. To be honest I have tried squatting his way. As far as I can tell it maximises a 1RM attempt, which I guess is what he is about. I don't think it works as well at building strength, which is what I am here for. In a comp setting I look up (also stand wider with a straighter back). Training day to day I don't.

Kyle Schuant Guest

starting strength coach development program
    I don't see why a 1RM attempt would be different to any normal warmup or work set in what is optimal, or optimal for that individual. It sounds like it would make an interesting discussion with the guy.

People with informed opinions are interesting to talk to. Random gym-goers I don't discuss it with, I just tell them. People who've yet to squat 60kg below parallel or coach anyone else to don't have the right to an opinion, it's virgins talking about sex.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast