starting strength gym

Thread: Amrap

Default Amrap

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I am doing 7 minute AMRAP for GPP (7min of chin/pull ups, 7min back ext etc.). I am wondering if other people have used this what was their approach to the set(s) and was it different for different exercises? For example I have found especially with chin/pull ups that if I go all out on in the beginning and do 10 reps I have to rest much longer and cut the reps significantly in subsequent attempts. In this case I would go 10 reps, rest 2 minutes do 5 reps, rest a minute do 5 reps etc.

I have also tried starting with 5 reps, resting for a shorter period then going back and staying with 5's as long as possible. I have found in my small sample size (me) of various exercises (chins/pull ups, ab wheel, back ext.) that either way I usually end up with around the same number of total reps.

I'm just curious what other people's experiences have been.

Quote Originally Posted by John Tony View Post
    I am doing 7 minute AMRAP for GPP (7min of chin/pull ups, 7min back ext etc.). I am wondering if other people have used this what was their approach to the set(s) and was it different for different exercises? For example I have found especially with chin/pull ups that if I go all out on in the beginning and do 10 reps I have to rest much longer and cut the reps significantly in subsequent attempts. In this case I would go 10 reps, rest 2 minutes do 5 reps, rest a minute do 5 reps etc.

I have also tried starting with 5 reps, resting for a shorter period then going back and staying with 5's as long as possible. I have found in my small sample size (me) of various exercises (chins/pull ups, ab wheel, back ext.) that either way I usually end up with around the same number of total reps.

I'm just curious what other people's experiences have been.
    I found a good way to "cheat" at the chins. Just do singles. That way, you do basically 0 eccentric reps. I've gotten 80 in 7 minutes (minus the 2 that I no-repped myself on for kipping) by doing almost exclusively singles. If I try to do sets and just let them wane, I get high 60's-low 70's. Otherwise, it doesn't seem to matter if I start with 12's, 10's, 8's, or 6's, I still end up with ~70.

I have been doing this lately too. I got the idea from Powerlifting to Win. I just do them for 7 minutes with no strategy. Just get some work in on some otherwise neglected muscles.

I've been doing this for a few weeks as well. Keep in mind I suck at chins, but I usually start with a set of 5-6 then continue on with triples and doubles trying to rest no longer than 30 seconds or so. I usually get 25-30ish in 10mins. I guess that's pretty shitty, haha, but I feel like it has been helping my pressing without adding too much stress to my program.

Quote Originally Posted by Kundahli View Post
    I've been doing this for a few weeks as well. Keep in mind I suck at chins, but I usually start with a set of 5-6 then continue on with triples and doubles trying to rest no longer than 30 seconds or so. I usually get 25-30ish in 10mins. I guess that's pretty shitty, haha, but I feel like it has been helping my pressing without adding too much stress to my program.
    Being little helps. A lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Being little helps. A lot.
    No kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    No kidding.

He's clearly kipping. No rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    He's clearly kipping. No rep.

Default Amrap

I've tried sets to failure, descending sets (but not going to failure), and just doing a bunch of doubles or triples. I get significantly more total reps with the last approach.

starting strength coach development program
    I used AMRAP for a while a la Greyskull LP. The program was originally designed so you could hit rep PR's when coming back from a layoff instead of sets of 5 across at weights you already mastered - kind of similar to 5/3/1. It was good for a while. I'd probably stick with 5s today in the same situation though and just accept the lack of PRs until weight levels returned.

Presently, I plan on implementing an AMRAP set on the press for a guy I'm training who can't microload. It's hard to get the same plates at the gym we train at, so microloading is rendered too precise for his purposes. I'll have him do Press 2x5, 1xAMRAP and increase the weight by 5 lbs when he hits 8 or so. I think it was Kyle Schuant who stated this strategy around here recently. I think it'll work.