starting strength gym
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Equipment

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    Just one question for you: Given the size of a pin that could fit within those holes, how much weight do you think it could hold before bending?
    Aren't the Rogue pins about that size?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Aren't the Rogue pins about that size?
    Yeah, roughly.

I was going to use two pins sticking out of a 2x4. Meaning, drill two holes in each end of a 2x4, insert teo pins through the rack and then two holes at each end.

+1 this thread. I can't build anything. Well, I did build my platform out of plywood.

If I were to use holes that size for pins, I'd use the pins to hold a collar in place similar to my rack in the photo. I'm not sure how thick the metal is on my rack, but just to my eye it looks thicker than a sign post. Also, the body of the metal is 2"x3" which is much better than a 1"x1" at any thickness. The collar that holds the barbell has hooks that are 1/4" thick and I am fully confident that it will handle any weight that I can squat.

I didn't have to build a rack. I lucked out and found this on Craig's List along with a barbell and some weights for $200. Don't settle. Keep looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Simczyk View Post
    This is my weight tree. I made it out of square tube and 1-1/4" pipe. This would take someone with moderate welding skill a couple of beers worth of time to do and, like me, may have enough scrap lying around to do it for a couple of beers.

Cost $0 - a bottle of booze

Looks sweet. I need to get myself a weight tree.

Default DIY goodness

I haven't made any cool stuff in a while for the gym. I want to make another dip bar that hooks into the barbell holder on the rack. Some day...

A deadlift jack, a dip attachment for my bench, and a chin up bar. Just realized that the chin up bar was an in progress pick. After this pick I shortened the lat pulldown attachment and then welded in the pipe for doing the chin ups on.

IMG_1432[1].jpg
    IMG_1429.jpg
    IMG_1417[1].jpg

Besides a new dip bar, I am interested in making some kind of glute ham raise type of thing-a-ma-jigger. Oh and a time machine so that I can have more time to lift...
    Last edited by caveman; 10-31-2014 at 03:14 PM. Reason: updated text

I like the deadlift jack. I put a handle on mine because I didn't want to bend over.

Nice. I've contemplated welding my singles together to raise the whole bar up at once. But I don't have a place to store that. The singles tuck next to the rack and stay pretty much out of the way.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamal View Post
    Question: how about building a power-rack out of steel sign post? The advantage I see is that it has the holes every one inch.
    G
    Based on what I've read, Texas Strength Systems does exactly that (and not very well, but not because of the sign post).

-----

I'm not against DIY at all, but I don't get making a jack if you are going to buy the materials. I've seen snapped jacks made from gas pipe that costed almost as much to make as my internet-purchased jack cost to buy.
    Last edited by Nate; 11-01-2014 at 06:52 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast