starting strength gym
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you guys use a lift off for every set on the bench press?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    Inb4 yer gonna die of internal bleeding in your sleep.
    Yeah, I'm shocked that I'm still alive...

To the OP, yes I have had elbow pain. Don't know if it is from the liftoff though. I have never felt it directly after the liftoff, usually starts after the set ends. High rep chins helped cure that.

I generally don't get a lift-off, though it is easier when someone volunteers and does it. Much like if someone else loads and unloads the bar.

I've not had elbow pain as a result.

However, I and my lifters tend to set up a bit closer to the bench than prescribed in the SS method. Our hooks are on top of the stands not in front of them, so colliding with them isn't an issue, it's never happened. In fact even with different benches the only times I've seen anyone hit the stands or rack with the bar was when they were doing the "turn the last rep into re-racking the bar" thing.

We mainly do liftoffs if the person asks for it, or if it's close to a competition, since the person will get a liftoff there whether they like it or not, and have to be used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr View Post
    I train alone. Never get a lift off.
    Same here. Elbows don't hurt.

Sometimes I'll get a lift off if I'm going for a 1RM. It's for me to keep my upper back as tight without a liftoff.

Agreed here. I always have a spotter but I do my own lift offs. If you set up close enough to the bar it's no problem. Then, if you're planning to do a meet, or your normal liftoff guy is sick or w/e, your bench doesn't get messed up from having a bad handoff. Too far forward? Too far backward? Handoff guy let go too soon? It'll mess up your attempt, especially if you're going for a 1RM. I also don't like the sensation of going from no weight in my arms to suddenly having all the weight handed off right over my chest.

Quote Originally Posted by elVarouza View Post
    Agreed here. I always have a spotter but I do my own lift offs. If you set up close enough to the bar it's no problem. Then, if you're planning to do a meet, or your normal liftoff guy is sick or w/e, your bench doesn't get messed up from having a bad handoff. Too far forward? Too far backward? Handoff guy let go too soon? It'll mess up your attempt, especially if you're going for a 1RM. I also don't like the sensation of going from no weight in my arms to suddenly having all the weight handed off right over my chest.
    All my guys know that I don't like that kind of lift off, just some help out while my shoulders stay tight. Teach them the right way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Schuant View Post
    We mainly do liftoffs if the person asks for it, or if it's close to a competition, since the person will get a liftoff there whether they like it or not, and have to be used to it.
    Just tell the guy to bugger off when he goes to give you a lift off. There's no rule specifying that a hand out is needed for the bench press.

I also don't like the sensation of going from no weight in my arms to suddenly having all the weight handed off right over my chest.
    That. I like to pull the weight out myself so I don't loosen up and I get a good feel for how heavy it is.

Echoing what others have said, if you set up much closer to the rack, it's pretty easy to pull out a heavy weight. However, your set up and bar path does have to be pretty consistent in order to not hit the rack.

This

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    All my guys know that I don't like that kind of lift off, just some help out while my shoulders stay tight. Teach them the right way to do it.
    I can teach my usual guy the right way sure, but I can't teach the random guy doing handoffs at a meet the right way to do it. I've seen plenty of bad handoffs at meets. Besides, I prefer no handoff anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by OCG View Post
    Just tell the guy to bugger off when he goes to give you a lift off. There's no rule specifying that a hand out is needed for the bench press.
    This. You're not required to get a handoff in competition.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Rambling aside, if the equipment demands it, get a lift-off. My bench isn't heavy enough yet (>300) to where I used to want a lift off. Hopefully I'll be asking for a lift-off in about 3 months.
    Blaine Sumner does his own handoff with 500+.

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    I try to get a lift off when I can. I do't mind doing my lighter volume work solo, but a good hand-off is nice when going heavy.
    Yes, I find a pr is near impossible without a liftoff

Edit: When I get a lift off and tell the spotter to let me pick the weight up(BC they tended to jerk it up) and then help slowly push it out over where I want it (which I specify), picking the weight up isn't the hard part its the moving it horizontally while keeping my shoulders set that's difficult.
    Last edited by MattJ.D.; 02-09-2015 at 01:24 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    I can teach my usual guy the right way sure, but I can't teach the random guy doing handoffs at a meet the right way to do it. I've seen plenty of bad handoffs at meets. Besides, I prefer no handoff anyway.

This. You're not required to get a handoff in competition.

Blaine Sumner does his own handoff with 500+.
    I prefer my wife to give me a hand-off once things start getting heavy. She knows just how I like it, more than some random guy at the gym ever could. And it just feels better than when you do it yourself, ya know?

Oh, we're still talking about bench pressing? Yeah, same deal.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast