Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat Check, If You Please

Default Squat Check, If You Please

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4Ehe2MyhKA

Link if the embed doesn't work.

Tips on form would be greatly appreciated. I notice that, out of the hole, my ass seems to travel "backwards" just a bit and causes my back angle to get flatter relative to the ground. I don't mind the flat back angle, I'm just curious as to why it isn't like that to start with and instead there is extra motion needed to bring it about. If that makes any sense.

Also, as far as you can tell with the dude walking in front of my phone on the last rep (the nerve of him thinking he can walk where ever he likes in the gym just because he pays dues!), is the depth good enough?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

490 for five is serious bidness. Good work. Do you have a version of this that is not distorted?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    490 for five is serious bidness. Good work. Do you have a version of this that is not distorted?
    You mean distorted as in stretched out because I had to rotate the thing in Windows Movie Maker?

Probably not. Best I could do is just video my next intensity day attempt and somehow prop my phone up on the side so that I don't have to rotate it with computers.

Or I could upload the unedited clip, and you could give yourself a neck cramp trying to watch it. But then Steve Hill would have me killed.

Try uploading the original to YouTube and rotating and clipping it in YouTube's editor. I am not being pedantic here. It's just too difficult to figure out what is going on when the video's aspect ratio has been changed. To make things even easier, never video anything in portrait mode. It may require you to back up more, but it makes everyone happier.

Try uploading the original to YouTube and rotating and clipping it in YouTube's editor. I am not being pedantic here. It's just too difficult to figure out what is going on when the video's aspect ratio has been changed. To make things even easier, never video anything in portrait mode. It may require you to back up more, but it makes everyone happier.
    I understand. It's not so much that I video in portrait mode because I'm lazy and don't want to set up properly, it's that I'm stupid and I have no goddamn idea how my phone decides to work half the time.

So, uh, I just uploaded the unedited clip and it somehow uploaded nice and properly oriented (unlike it was in Windows Movie Maker for whatever reason), apparently not distorted as far as I can tell. We can now confidently rank my intelligence below the semi-literate 12 year olds who figured out YouTube and smart phones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veGr...tu.be#t=00m05s

It's a bit small in the regular view, probably because profile because derp. If you can fullscreen it, it's much more watchable. Sorry for the trouble.

Much better. I can actually see what you are doing.

Again, props on 490. That is a lot of weight, especially for five. Your depth is fine. Probably two or three inches below parallel on every rep. Your stance is wider than I would recommend and you are all but lacking the highly desirable hip drive that is an important part of the LBBS.

The reason your last reps look different than your first is fatigue. As you become more fatigued, you are trying to tap more into the posterior musculature. However, since you are trying to lift your chest at the same time, you kind of shift around without making the bar go up as well. If I were coaching you, I would bring your stance in and yell at you to squeeze tighter, especially at the bottom and on the ascent. I would also have you drive your hips up the whole way to the top. A narrower stance will make going deeper easier, so you would probably need to cut your squats off at a point that would feel high.

Narrow stance a touch and hip drive better, thanks.

Pardon my continued ignorance, but "squeeze" what exactly?

When you take a big breath in contract all of your trunk musculature around it. Hold that tight at the bottom and keep holding, or squeezing, as you ascend.

When you take a big breath in contract all of your trunk musculature around it. Hold that tight at the bottom and keep holding, or squeezing, as you ascend.
    Gotcha. Thanks a lot for the help, I'll work on this.

starting strength coach development program
    Seconding the aforementioned impressiveness. You might have looked at yourself in the mirror on that last rep. I know I would have if I had your hair.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast