starting strength gym

Thread: high bar to low bar squats

Default high bar to low bar squats

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    looking for some direction

I would like to transition from high bar to low bar. I've watch Rip's videos on the proper grip, bar position etc.

What I would like to know is....can I just make the bar placement and grip adjustments and have at it or should this be a slower process?

Should I de-load?

Thanks in advance for your time

Louis

Yes, you're going to have to take some weight off the bar to learn to do it correctly. You're also probably want to keep going ass to grass and imagine you're getting 'the bounce' when your hamstrings smack off your calves and you physically bounce back up. But that's not the bounce or the right depth for a low bar squat. Re-read the parts of the book that discuss this, and get used to actually controlling your descent and driving up when you get just below parallel, as opposed to just falling in and using the physical bounce of hams off calves to initiate your ascent.

Basically, you'll need to learn to stay tight. And that will require a weight at which you can focus on learning to do so, rather than the most weight you can possibly lift.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Yes, you're going to have to take some weight off the bar to learn to do it correctly. You're also probably want to keep going ass to grass and imagine you're getting 'the bounce' when your hamstrings smack off your calves and you physically bounce back up. But that's not the bounce or the right depth for a low bar squat. Re-read the parts of the book that discuss this, and get used to actually controlling your descent and driving up when you get just below parallel, as opposed to just falling in and using the physical bounce of hams off calves to initiate your ascent.

Basically, you'll need to learn to stay tight. And that will require a weight at which you can focus on learning to do so, rather than the most weight you can possibly lift.
    Michael....thank you for a quick response.

No prob. I made this transition myself some years ago, and have since taught many people to low bar squat using the SS model, who have only ever high bar and front squatted; I've found that what I wrote above is almost always the main issue.

Widening the stance an inch or two and turning their toes out more than they want to (and then pushing knees out to match that angle) is a very common fix, too. But what I wrote above is what I have found to be the case in almost every single person who is trying to learn to low bar after doing high bar for a while.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 03-22-2015 at 11:03 AM.

yup....my squat style, even though is high bar (bar position) I don't go ass to grass. Since I am a competitive powerlifter, I train to go about 4" below parallel....my stance is exactly what you prescribe above.

Thanks for your time....

Louis

No prob. I made this transition myself some years ago, and have since taught many people to low bar squat using the SS model, who have only ever high bar and front squatted; I've found that what I wrote above is almost always the main issue.

Widening the stance an inch or two and turning their toes out more than they want to (and then pushing knees out to match that angle) is a very common fix, too. But what I wrote above is what I have found to be the case in almost every single person who is trying to learn to low bar after doing high bar for a while.
    Here is vid of me doing 20 reps of 240
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSzoCM7fMY0

feel free to provide criticism

I didn't watch all 20, Lou, and I can't see your stance and toe angle from that shot. But you are indeed a rare breed. I've taught hundreds (maybe thousands by this point?) of former high bar squatters to low bar squat, and only a handful were not "falling in" to the bottom. You're one of the special snowflakes, indeed.

So for you specifically, I'd suggest that learning to sit back and not let your knees shoot forward will be the biggest change and challenge. Really getting the more leaned over, horizontal back angle in your head as the goal, and sitting back enough to actually do so, might be tricky. But you won't know till you try it!

I didn't watch all 20, Lou, and I can't see your stance and toe angle from that shot. But you are indeed a rare breed. I've taught hundreds (maybe thousands by this point?) of former high bar squatters to low bar squat, and only a handful were not "falling in" to the bottom. You're one of the special snowflakes, indeed.

So for you specifically, I'd suggest that learning to sit back and not let your knees shoot forward will be the biggest change and challenge. Really getting the more leaned over, horizontal back angle in your head as the goal, and sitting back enough to actually do so, might be tricky. But you won't know till you try it!
    Michael....thanks for the kind words and taking your time.....it may surprise if I told you I was 59

starting strength coach development program

I agree with you on the knee bend...I seem to drop like someone holding a measuring tape down to the ground that collapses when it bends.....thanks again