starting strength gym
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: belt question again (sorry) - a belt that is too loose?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by JB47 View Post
    Getting a hole punched between 3 and 4 seems to be the obvious solution.
    Sorry, but I have to disagree. Punching or drilling another hole of the necessary diameter between the existing holes is taking a big risk for the long term life and utility of the belt. It leaves relatively little cowhide between holes, and the stresses and strains of the belt and tension from bending over to deadlift could well result in that hole being torn through by the buckle's tongue. If or when that happens, it can't be repaired. Then it's time for a new belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Sorry, but I have to disagree. Punching or drilling another hole of the necessary diameter between the existing holes is taking a big risk for the long term life and utility of the belt.
    Yeah, he really shouldn't have to do that with the spacing on the belt, the holes aren't that far apart.

That being said, the hole I use on my belt has been stretched to roughly where a new hole would be punched if I were to do that. It's been that way for a few months and it hasn't stretched any further, despite being wrenched very tight.

Does everyone else only have 1 or 2 holes of 'range' on their belts? People seem to be implying in this thread that belts can be pulled over a range of tightnesses, but that isn't the case with me at all. Its either very tight (hole 4) or snug (hole 3). I wouldn't even bother with hole 2 at all it would be falling off me and hole 5 is impossible to get onto.

Quote Originally Posted by danlightbulb View Post
    Does everyone else only have 1 or 2 holes of 'range' on their belts? People seem to be implying in this thread that belts can be pulled over a range of tightnesses, but that isn't the case with me at all. Its either very tight (hole 4) or snug (hole 3). I wouldn't even bother with hole 2 at all it would be falling off me and hole 5 is impossible to get onto.
    My hole 5 is actually a little loose on me right now, but hole 6 is a little tight. So for a heavy single, I'd use hole 6, for a set of 5, 5. Neither one causes me the kinds of issues you're experiencing.

I dont know whats going on then I really don't. Its doing my head in. Something is going on which is related to my lifting.

• When I descend into a squat at the very bottom (rebound position) I get a sudden loss of tightness (a tiny bit).
    • In this position I feel my whole 'gut' compressing upwards like its all being squashed up.
    • I get a small passage of air back out of my throat which I cannot stop happening (which would be consistent with a slight loss of tightness) - like a tiny air leak past my glottis (I can hold a valsalva perfectly well any other time).
    • I feel a slight shift in my centre of gravity and my knees have a very slight shift in position forwards in the hole (consistent with a slight loss of tightness).
    • My abs area has continued to show signs of inflamation or forward protrusion. I have some anterior pelvic tilt.

None of this happens if I don't wear the belt:

• I have dropped the weights and stopped using the belt for 3 weeks to try and let myself recover from whatever the issue is.
    • My abs have reduced in size implying some inflamation may have subsided.
    • I do not get the air leak in my throat with the lower weights and no belt.
    • I do not get a loss of tightness in the hole or the slightly shifting position with the lower weights and no belt.
    • I have been doing some stretches to try and combat the anterior pelvic tilt.
    • I have widened my squat stance by about 8 inches because of my long legs and it feels better (wish there was more advice about this in the book).

Aside from the extra tightness, the other thing I notice about hole 4 compared to hole 3 is that the belt jams me up more in the hole and it feels like its limiting my depth. Maybe this is related to my tightness issues. Less depth = less loss of tightness. I know a video will be needed for this.
    Last edited by danlightbulb; 03-29-2015 at 03:50 AM.

Normally I would post this in the form check section but as its a direct follow on from my querying I will post it here:

Video of todays squats @ 80kg. My belt is on hole 4 here which as Ive said, is the tightest I can get it. The weight is fairly light but Ive deloaded as I said to try and figure out what the problem is.

https://youtu.be/iCs2c68WGxI

For reference if anyone wants to look back at my previous squats, this is my old video at 110kg in November last year. Looking at this now, I think the belt is riding up and down my waist, and my stance is substantially narrower.
    https://youtu.be/iRUzPk4nUzM

Are you wearing the belt with the buckle on the side?

The buckle is at around the 2 o clock position because the handle digs into my leg if its more central.

The solution to the holes problem is really very simple. You have two options:

- Thicker shirt
    - Gain some weight

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    The solution to the holes problem is really very simple. You have two options:

- Thicker shirt
    - Gain some weight

Thanks and yeah i see that, but its not just the belt per se its all the other problems i listed above that i need to solve and im not getting anywhere.

I now also have two whopping bruises either side of my body directly on the top of the pelvic bone from wearing the belt on hole 4. So is it too tight or not?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast