starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is the absolutely worst place to ask...

Default This is the absolutely worst place to ask...

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    ...but I'm not signing up for another forum.

I'm almost 34 and prior to lifting I skateboarded for almost 20 years and then took up Thai boxing. All that high impact stuff has left me with quite a battered body, especially around my lower back, hips, knees. Whenever I go for max effort days, which isn't often I almost always come out sore and battered with something feeling pulled. It is not a flexibility issue as I'm plenty flexible. My question is this....

Would a single ply suit or briefs provide me with some good support and compression to allow me to lift better on my max effort attempts? I'm not talking a fancy new one that if worn right can add 100lbs to my squat. But one like the inzer z suit or champion that's dated and old. I've heard of people using them like this but i can't find any discussions about it. Maybe some of the older types on here do it.

Actually this idea was addressed in an article Gary Gibson wrote for this very website.

The same sort of thing goes for squat suits. If sized properly—that is to say, you can get it on yourself
    without squat suit slippers of some sort—they won’t add much at all to the weight you can use.
    Rehband’s neoprene mix compression shorts will work here too. Again, the idea is to provide a little
    warmth for the relatively bloodless, cold connective tissue and a little compression to the joint so that
    that connective tissue doesn’t deform in bad ways during joint articulation under load.
    So the article appears to say pretty much what you're thinking. I don't have first-hand experience with this, but others who do may chime in.

That was basically the function of the original supportive equipment, so it may help. But what exactly do you mean by "high impact?" The only SS lift with any actual impact is power clean, but you may mean something different by impact.

Either way, before you bother to start using gear, I'd take a long look at possible causes of feeling beat up and work on minimizing them. You're 33. That's older than me, but younger than a large portion of the members here. As I'm learning now, sometimes it's best to take some time to back off and address certain issues before pushing forward again. Neither of us is old enough to justify being constantly beat up.

Thanks for that info. I'll give it a read.

No my previous sports were high impact. Lifting isn't at all. It holds me together after all those years of slamming my body against concrete and wooden floors from various heights and angles. A lot of the skaters from my era all talk about how fucked up their bodies now are. All of my friends who i skated with are in the same boat too. Just nagging injuries and dull aches.

I stretch and get horrendous massages once or twice a week. My massage therapist comments that for the most part I am loose and easily workable on. Nothing stands out as being a problem to her. So I guess I don't mean I'm always beat up but I have put my body through some stupid shit and have nagging issues because of it.
    Last edited by PaulBeech; 03-30-2015 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBeech View Post
    No my previous sports were high impact. Lifting isn't at all.
    Ah, got it.

Like Gary's article says, there's nothing inherently evil about gear for personal training. I use knee sleeves and wouldn't want to squat without them.

Gave it a read. I had no idea that this article was written. I Already use some heavier knee sleeves for my knees. They support them fantastically without aiding the lifts too much. If I can get a suit that does the same with a little less poundage increase I'll be a happy man. The inzer z suit or champion suit look like two of the best options.

Also how's your diet? Food has a huge influence on our bodies especially controlling inflammation.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    Also how's your diet? Food has a huge influence on our bodies especially controlling inflammation.
    Meat, rice and vegetables are the main staples. I have tried a bunch of different ways of eating before and not much changes.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBeech View Post
    Gave it a read. I had no idea that this article was written. I Already use some heavier knee sleeves for my knees. They support them fantastically without aiding the lifts too much. If I can get a suit that does the same with a little less poundage increase I'll be a happy man. The inzer z suit or champion suit look like two of the best options.
    I got some NRS neoprene shorts meant for water sports. They don't give a lot of assistance which is good, they help keep my hips warm which is what is was after. $80 on Amazon I think.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by BobPond View Post
    I got some NRS neoprene shorts meant for water sports. They don't give a lot of assistance which is good, they help keep my hips warm which is what is was after. $80 on Amazon I think.
    I'll take a look. These suits are only $42 though. More on my budget. I just need to make sure I buy a size that won't give me too much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast