starting strength gym

Thread: Squat formcheck - covering the bursitis bases

Default Squat formcheck - covering the bursitis bases

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello coaches. I'm in the process of addressing hip bursitis/greater trochanteric pain syndrome problems that are kicking my ass (hips & thighs anyway) when I squat. Kinda spoiling the death throws of my advanced novice stage given I am now completely unable to squat (or even sit) with any intensity.

I don't have any particular concerns about my technique apart from some weird brony headnod stuff I do on grinds & some intermittent knee darts (vastly improved IMHO from the knee-slide horror of my earlier formcheck here) , but would much value your opinion as to whether any aspects of my current form could be contributing to the problem, or it's just a case of shit happens to old bodies (47, 106kg).

Current form: 165kg(364lbs) x 5

A technique check is not the only part of my strategy. 800mg 4 daily x 5 days Ibuprofen and layoff tried & worked for the duration but with immediate return of pain upon resuming dem squats. Frequently foam-rollering with as much pain as possible in an attempt at self-ITB release & doing dynamic (leg swinging & hip airplane variety) & static (external hip rotation and hip flexor focussed) stretching. Get some relief from those activities but nothing dramatic. I'm booked in with a strong looking masseur for a proper ITB release & am pinning many hopes on the outcome of that. In the interim I'm also going to trial snatch grip deadlifts in lieu of squats & hope they don't aggravate the symptoms.

Cheers very much.

The reason you are looking up is because you are trying to lift your chest. Keep your chin down and drive up with your hips the whole way. Stay with your hips. Turn it around a little faster at the bottom. Otherwise, they look pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    The reason you are looking up is because you are trying to lift your chest. Keep your chin down and drive up with your hips the whole way. Stay with your hips. Turn it around a little faster at the bottom. Otherwise, they look pretty good.
    Thank you Tom - much appreciated. When I can program squats again I'll work on those issues. I'm sure there'll be a substantial deload involved so I should be able to focus well. The over-careful turnaround is likely a hangover from a series of adductor/hamstring tears. Looking up probs arrived when I progressed past 140ish again. You never stop learning with this stuff.

As an aside - I trialled snatch grip deadlifts and while they caused a little hip pain, it was not the same order of magnitude as squats. Pain of a different kind in most every other part of my body though. What a completely brutal lift. Cheers.