starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeing an SSC for a one time session- tips?

Default Seeing an SSC for a one time session- tips?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I don’t live anywhere near an SSC but have been able to arrange a one off session with a coach on a trip I am making to the States.

I was wondering if there is anything I can do at my end before the session to make the most of it?

I have been re-reading the books and watched the DVD to try to increase my basic level of knowledge of the lifts. I am taking my along my log and a list of questions and I am going to ask if it is ok to film some of it so I can refer back to it.

Any other tips people have?

I recently drove to a different state to see a SSC. Don't worry about the book really. Go in accepting you're going to perform the movements in new ways that don't seem correct. Stop overthinking. The SSC knows more than you.

For 99% of trainees I approach coaching them as if they have never done a squat before. I basically teach from the ground up.

If they have read the book and understand the model then the material usually comes faster to them, but it is certainly not a requirement. Either way, you will leave your session knowing how to do the lifts in a language that makes sense TO YOU. I rarely mention moment arms or anything real technical. I just show you how to do it and ingrain you with some simple cues that make sense to you and get you to follow the model.

I will usually tell you to "show me a set of 10 with the bar" in whatever form you have been using up to this point. I give you zero coaching cues during this movement. I just want them to feel how shitty it is in comparison to what they will be doing in the next few minutes after we rebuild their form.

The exception is when I get an experienced competitive lifter in who already kinda has dialed in his own technique. Then I just look at what he is doing and see where we can make tweaks to make things more efficient, but I don't try and completely convert him over to The Method.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    For 99% of trainees I approach coaching them as if they have never done a squat before. I basically teach from the ground up.

If they have read the book and understand the model then the material usually comes faster to them, but it is certainly not a requirement. Either way, you will leave your session knowing how to do the lifts in a language that makes sense TO YOU. I rarely mention moment arms or anything real technical. I just show you how to do it and ingrain you with some simple cues that make sense to you and get you to follow the model.
    I don't have nearly Andy's experience as a coach or lifter, or the breadth of knowledge he's accumulated, but I mostly deal with "one-offs" and this is exactly the approach I've found to be the most worthwhile and successful. I am sure whoever you're seeing has a method that works for them and their trainees.

Just be prepared to work with weights that are challenging, but not so challenging that taking cues and maintaining proper form is out of the question. Try to plan your training so that you'll be pretty well recovered for the session, and think about any questions you'd like answered in advance. Be ready to answer his or her questions about your training and injury history, and don't be freaked out by the waiver. Bring your belt and shoes.

I have people in usually for just one or two sessions. My goal is to teach you the movement so you can do it on your own. I want you to fly, little bird! And then come back when you want a refresher.

Quietly sneak up behind them, grab them in a bear hug and dry hump their closest leg. They LOVE that shit!

show up early. bring whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    make sure your singlet is sized correctly
    Don't you mean mankini?

Quote Originally Posted by mrflibble View Post
    Don't you mean mankini?
    randomnav's a lady.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the input!

For whatever reasons, I was under the impression there would be lots of talk about the physics and anatomy of the lifts and I should brush up on it so that when the coach was going through it, I would have a better idea of what he was talking about.

But still not sure about the dry humping idea …

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast