starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do people like to use racks constructed with 3x3 tube?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    The original Westside racks are 2x2 also. Doesn't mean that is your only or best choice.

Hondas get awesome gas mileage and last a long time. They still make/sell Mercedes et all.
    I think the better analogy might compare oversized racks to the interior design of full-size pickups. Both often unnecessarily/retardedy oversized & both targeted a a demographic that apparently draws man-power from shit external to them.

I mentioned two reasons someone might prefer a 3x3. It's not all cosmetic.
    It's a good point: someone who either won't fix the rack to the ground or won't opt for attached plate storage would face some serious stability issues with a light 2x2 rack. Are there cases where commercial pin and pipe safeties fail in good repair though? I won't completely dismiss the second part of your remark but it seems a little silly to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    Sort of on a side tangent, how much was the monolift attachment for the power rack? I am looking for home gym options, and normal power racks are tough for me since I take a wide grip. I currently squat out of a monolift for that reason, but I always walk it out.
    Rogue sells one I expect it's not compatible without other brands--actually that might violate some anti trust laws.

EDIT: Callador, the one Rogue sells isn't adjustable in the direction of the bar like a regular monolift. It may not actually give you much extra hand space. Although I'm looking at it and I don't know why it wouldn't fit any other rack with the same tubing. Says it's only compatible with Rogue racks on the website though.
    Last edited by Dildo Bolt; 05-03-2015 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Diebolt View Post
    It's a good point: someone who either won't fix the rack to the ground or won't opt for attached plate storage would face some serious stability issues with a light 2x2 rack. Are there cases where commercial pin and pipe safeties fail in good repair though? I won't completely dismiss the second part of your remark but it seems a little silly to me.

Rogue sells one I expect it's not compatible without other brands--actually that might violate some anti trust laws.

EDIT: Callador, the one Rogue sells isn't adjustable in the direction of the bar like a regular monolift. It may not actually give you much extra hand space. Although I'm looking at it and I don't know why it wouldn't fit any other rack with the same tubing. Says it's only compatible with Rogue racks on the website though.
    Drop-ins are easier/quicker to adjust than sabers/pins. Both options are sufficiently strong for safety. Drop/swing-in will never bend while sabers/pins can (if abused, usually).

Call, mine was more expensive than a swing-in for a few reasons. It ended up about $430 shipped from Canada. A swing-in is closer to $390-400 from my fabricator.

Re:rogue, Dean at Black Widow Training makes a bracket for it so that it acts just like a j-hook. If you want that version (mine is better than the Rogue), I'd get in touch with him for the bracket.

Edit: if you're just walking it out and need more hands space, he can just make you 1" wide j-hooks that are off-center (so they sit on the outside edge of the upright). Would be much cheaper.
    Last edited by Cody; 05-03-2015 at 12:12 PM.

You brahs are off your Aasgaard game today. I thought the T's&C's of your writer contracts stipulates promoting Rip's products first and foremost? Here we are on page 2 and nobody has brought up the formidable Rip Rack.

Anyway look at this. The Rip Rack is made from C-frame steel and has BOLTS as J-cups and ...wait for it... you can put the safeties on an angle which is of course the first thing anyone wants to do with a power rack.

There you go. I primed the pump. Now you fill the buckets.

heh

Cody, thanks for turning me on to the Rae Crowther website it's got some really good looking equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Will Diebolt View Post
    heh

Cody, thanks for turning me on to the Rae Crowther website it's got some really good looking equipment
    No problem. Rae Crowther is easily the best power rack manufacturer there is right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence H Dilldaw View Post
    You brahs are off your Aasgaard game today. I thought the T's&C's of your writer contracts stipulates promoting Rip's products first and foremost? Here we are on page 2 and nobody has brought up the formidable Rip Rack.

Anyway look at this. The Rip Rack is made from C-frame steel and has BOLTS as J-cups and ...wait for it... you can put the safeties on an angle which is of course the first thing anyone wants to do with a power rack.

There you go. I primed the pump. Now you fill the buckets.
    I know you're being tongue-in-cheek, but for anyone who doesn't know, the "Rip Rack" is just a knock-off of an old York design. They no longer make it because there are better/cheaper designs (Rogue, anyone?). Theold York racks are worth exactly $150 in good condition. I definitely would not recommend buying one new.

I'm a fan of the Rogue 2"x3" racks. You get the stiffness and rigidity of 3" tubing front to back, and the added space between the uprights of 2" tubing.

You can do a little better than that on the doll if you buy in volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Smyth View Post
    You can do a little better than that on the doll if you buy in volume.
    3 ships free?

I, for one, really like my Titan 2x3 rack.

starting strength coach development program
    I know you're being tongue-in-cheek, but for anyone who doesn't know, the "Rip Rack" is just a knock-off of an old York design. They no longer make it because there are better/cheaper designs (Rogue, anyone?). Theold York racks are worth exactly $150 in good condition. I definitely would not recommend buying one new.
    Well done Cody. This is a great example of an Aasgaard 'A' game. You saw that Rip's product was coming under question and immediately diffused the situation by referencing that York designed the questionable rack in question. This is a skill that's hard to teach the young-uns.

The only thing you could have done better is to say the rack was designed by Troy or someone else. Remember that York also makes Rip's signature bar. But that's just a bonus point that rarely even the best of the best get. We won't dwell on that.

I'm going to mention this good deed you did to corporate next time I talk to them.

Regards,
    CHD

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast