starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ripped an eyelet out of shoes. Need new pair

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    The OP would like a wide toe box. The good folks at Adidas seem allergic to such things, unfortunately.

You can still get Rogue DoWins on their website. That is, if you wear a mens size 3.5 or 14.5. The rest are out of stock. You have to do a search in the search field. They do not show up in the shoe section. I wonder if they will restock these. A couple months ago they were "unavailable", then all of a sudden they came in in spades. May be worth an inquiry.

I didn't read carefully, I just glimpsed SABO and wanted to recommend against because I see them often recommended and I actually got them, but I think they are really not on par with the alternatives. I wonder if people who recommend SABO actually wear them.

Just get whatever Tom suggests.

Quote Originally Posted by Smyth View Post
    You can still get Rogue DoWins on their website. That is, if you wear a mens size 3.5 or 14.5. The rest are out of stock. You have to do a search in the search field. They do not show up in the shoe section. I wonder if they will restock these. A couple months ago they were "unavailable", then all of a sudden they came in in spades. May be worth an inquiry.
    I believe Rogue has indicated they will not be getting any new stock. It was a sad day when I learned this.

Quote Originally Posted by quad View Post
    I didn't read carefully, I just glimpsed SABO and wanted to recommend against because I see them often recommended and I actually got them, but I think they are really not on par with the alternatives. I wonder if people who recommend SABO actually wear them.

Just get whatever Tom suggests.
    The Adidas are great shoes. I just wish they were constructed in a way that accommodated more feet.

Quote Originally Posted by hollismb View Post
    . . . get metal eyelets put into my Rogue Do-Wins specifically to prevent this from happening.
    I own a pair of these Do-Wins, and notice the leather eyelet is starting to pull. Your idea sounds like a good one.

Any drawbacks to having metal eyeles put into a used shoe? (I'll ask the cobbler the same question.)

Thanks,

Vince

People say that about the Adidas and I've found there to be more room in the toe box of my Adipowers compared to the Romaleos of the same size and I do not have a wide foot. Maybe the Adipowers stretch out a bit? IDK.

What I would recommend is what shoe fits best? Do Nike's fit well? If so, go with the Romaleos. If Adidas shoes fit fine then go with the Adipowers.

FWIW the Adipowers are on sale. If you sign up at Adidas I believe you get a 10% or 15% off coupon so you may be able to stack that on top of the discount.

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    I own a pair of these Do-Wins, and notice the leather eyelet is starting to pull. Your idea sounds like a good one.

Any drawbacks to having metal eyeles put into a used shoe? (I'll ask the cobbler the same question.)

Thanks,

Vince
    I asked my cobbler about putting eyelets into my sabos and he said the metal eyelets would to up my laces, and wouldn't really prevent blowing the hole (if wind up pulling the metal eyelet through the leather). His recommendation was to be careful, but if I do pull a lace through he can fix a new piece of leather behind the face of the shoe to hold the laces.

Fwiw he said the shoe looked well made, just that the upper is pretty thin.

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post

Not my idea. I got it from Steve Hill (thread here). Don't know what the difference will be if they're stretched out a little. Let us know what the shoe folks say.

starting strength coach development program
    The Adipowers definitely stretch out. I think I personally should have gone with the Romaleos because they have an extra strap lower on the foot. The Adipowers give me a little too much room in the front foot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast