Thread: Barbell collar recommendations?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Walking plates on pulls from the floor.
    Better plates could fix that, too

I've used the plastic lockjaw collars, which motivated me to get some new collars when I was ordering bars. Then I saw that Rogue had metal versions, and was going to try those, but ended up buying the OSO units based on various innerwebs reviews. The plastic lockjaw collars probably open up a bit more, but don't seem to grip the bar as well. I can't offer a metal version comparison, but the fact that Rogue now has an OSO collar branded for them says something.
    I had a pair of the plastic Rogue branded lockjaws for a few years and they worked fine. Unfortunately one of them broke, presumably the large temperature swings in the garage didn't help their longevity. I replaced them with the ones with a metal frame like gilchrest mentioned: Amazon.com: Lock-Jaw Elite Olympic Barbell Collar: Health & Personal Care. They have worked pretty good so far.

Quote Originally Posted by SpinyNorman View Post
    I had a pair of the plastic Rogue branded lockjaws for a few years and they worked fine. Unfortunately one of them broke, presumably the large temperature swings in the garage didn't help their longevity. I replaced them with the ones with a metal frame like gilchrest mentioned: Amazon.com: Lock-Jaw Elite Olympic Barbell Collar: Health & Personal Care. They have worked pretty good so far.
    You know, if your Rogue-branded Lock Jaw (HG) collars break, and you contact them about it, they normally just send you out some new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by hollismb View Post
    You know, if your Rogue-branded Lock Jaw (HG) collars break, and you contact them about it, they normally just send you out some new ones.
    Even though they're over 5 years old? Well, I guess it can't hurt to try. Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by incongruouserudite View Post
    My gym's loose-ass spring collars fucked up my 440 squat pretty badly tonight.

Anyone have any recommendations for strong collars? I want to buy some of my own so I don't have to fucking worry about 200 lbs of plates drifting mid-set if I get a little sloppy on the way out of a squat. I just can't tell what collars are actually dependable, and which ones are just sales gimmicks.
    Get these:
    Amazon.com : 1.25 lb. Chromed Training Collars (Pair) : Exercise Wraps : Sports & Outdoors

I like the OSO collars that Rogue sells. Secure yet easy to remove.
    I agree. Just got a pair from Rogue and the stay in place, easy to remove and weigh next to nothing.

I run a bungee cord, with the end hooks secured to the outside plate on each side. You have to be careful on your power cleans, but it's otherwise a great DIY fix. And cheap!

Walking plates on pulls from the floor.
    Is this really an issue? I've trained for a couple years total in the past using cheap (I assume) gym spring collars, and never had any kind of issue. Granted, I never pulled more than 3 plates per side, but I'm certainly hoping that my Rogue collars, which seem much better quality than those gym ones, don't cause me any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Agilic View Post
    Is this really an issue? I've trained for a couple years total in the past using cheap (I assume) gym spring collars, and never had any kind of issue. Granted, I never pulled more than 3 plates per side, but I'm certainly hoping that my Rogue collars, which seem much better quality than those gym ones, don't cause me any issues.
    Loose fitting plates are generally the culprit. Part of expensive plates are consistent and proper fitting holes. The other part is consistency and accuracy of the weight. If you're training with quality plates, this is not likely a considerable issue.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Loose fitting plates are generally the culprit. Part of expensive plates are consistent and proper fitting holes. The other part is consistency and accuracy of the weight. If you're training with quality plates, this is not likely a considerable issue.
    Thanks, makes sense. I guess I can imagine how hundreds of pounds of weights hitting the floor and pushing against the collars could spring them loose. Just haven't seen it and my old lifting partner used to deadlift 400+.

While we're on the topic, does anybody have any experience with the Troy VTX plates? I bought them brand new (9% off for off-color and free shipping) and am curious how they might hold up. They seem fine so far. I never weighed them, but i believe they were guaranteed within 3% iirc. They were pretty tight fitting and tough to slide onto the barbell at first, but slide on easier now, 5 workouts in.
    Last edited by Agilic; 06-28-2015 at 11:02 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast