starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lifting Order

Default Lifting Order

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    On Saturday when I got to the Y the squat rack was taken so I did my bench presses and dead lifts and then did squats. I do squats twice a week and so far that's working ok. I only do dead lifts once a week. My dead lifts are lagging behind my squats so I also thought this might be a way to kick start the dead lifts. Is there any reason to not alter the order on Saturdays vs my order on Tuesdays? Tuesdays is squats, over head presses and chin ups.

If I understand your question I found that sometimes Deadlift is better done before the lifts. DL can really take it out of a person. Do you advance by 10 pounds on DL each week? Are you advancing 5 and 5 on Squats? For most people Deads advance a bit faster than Squats. But that isn't true for everyone. Can you show us some videos? Do you see a SS coach from time to time?

I can't squat worth a damn after the DL. I'm sure doing squats first impacts my DL, but not as badly as the DL first impacts the squat.

When you get to the point where you are doing Squats heavy/light with the second workout of the week being light, then you can do the DL first on light squat day.

I tried squats after deadlifts for a while, and hated it.

It was a struggle to hold back extension with tired back muscles. It felt really dangerous, I quit after a few sessions before I threw my back out.

Yeah, not keen on SQ after DL.

BP/OHP is nice to do first if it's a weaker lift for you. But then that sometimes means doing DL right after SQ, rather than having a break. So you see why we usually end up with SQ, BP, DL, in that order.

Once it's time for a light day, I like just going to two exercises, especially for those of us with compromised recovery. BP/SQ one day and OHP/DL the other.

I can't squat worth anything after dead lifts so I think I'll squat one day a week and the dead lift the other day. I've managed to go up 10 lbs each week for the last three weeks this way on the dead lift so I'll see how it goes.

I do a four day routine based on 531. OHP / Deadlift / Bench / Squat. I do light squats on my deadlift day before my deadlifts. Once when the racks were all taken, I did deadlifts first. My squats, felt very sloppy because my back was fatigued. Now, if the racks are taken, I go a fifth day and do my light squats rather than risk injury by doing them after deadlifts.

Interestingly doing the squats before my deadlifts seems to help warm me up.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    I can't squat worth anything after dead lifts so I think I'll squat one day a week and the dead lift the other day. I've managed to go up 10 lbs each week for the last three weeks this way on the dead lift so I'll see how it goes.
    Light squats after deadlifts?

steve, I don't know if this will help you but many years ago I struggle the same way, I couldn't deadlift worth a shit if it followed squats. In my case this was do to lack of conditioning. No not cardio. Posterior chain conditioning.
    I did as you are attempting to do, squat one day and dl the other. That work ok for awhile until I started to dl serious weights, recovery now became an issue.

As my conditioning improved I found I can squat and dl on the same day. squats, ohp, than dl. I squat and dl 2x's a week. I would never think of doing DL before squats unless I no longer give a shit about my squats.

As for posterior chain conditioning I did good mornings (I hate GM's), SLDL, SGDL, Deficits, reverse hypers. I am not suggesting you add this into your program since I don't know where you are and don't like suggesting to add shit to someone's program...get a coach.

Have you thought about doing
    heavy squats

light or mod squats
    heavy dl
    Last edited by lou t; 09-07-2015 at 09:47 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by scwot View Post
    light squats after deadlifts?
    yes...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast