starting strength gym

Thread: Beltless vs poorly fitting belt

Default Beltless vs poorly fitting belt

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Coaches,
    Just wanted to hear your thoughts if you've got a minute to spare. Basically, i have a 4 inch belt that works just fine for squatting but prevents me from setting up correctly to deadlift.

As i don't have the money to afford a 3 inch belt right now and even if i did, it would not arrive for several weeks, any thoughts on what i should do?

Would it be better to pull beltless so i can get into a better position or use the 4 inch belt and pull slightly heavier weights and probably get stronger faster?

Thanks for your time.

How much are you deadlifting and how much do you weigh?

Look through the Pioneer Fitness discount page. A bench/deadlift belt can be had for $30, shipped. I have a 30ish page thread in the training forum about this brand-new many of the SSCs have their belts, and Rip has recommended them before. You'll get your belt in a week. Email Matt if you have any questions for them.

https://generalleathercraft.com/prod...-weight-belts/

215lbs at 6'2 and am pulling 330 for 5 which sucks i know.

330 for five won't win you first prize at a meet, but it doesn't suck, either. Get an Altus velcro belt from Sports Authority. It is around $20. It will provide you some support and won't fuck up your setup. I pulled in it for a while. It is also useful for when cleans get heavier. You can use that until you save up for a 3-inch leather belt.

Thank you to everyone for the responses, i will take a look at some of these other belts!

starting strength coach development program
    Also, if you already have a plain leather belt or find an inexpensive one (they're out there for 20$), it is very simple to cut it down to whatever width you like. The front of these belts are ~2.25" or 2.5" and backs anywhere from 4-6". Cut the back side down and wear it backside to the front. If it is padded, tear out the padding. This is my favorite solution as you can use 3.5/3/2.5 - whatever suits you best - and it's leather and secured with a buckle, not fickle velcro.