starting strength gym
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Question for Sean Herbison

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by umairsemail View Post
    Can you start doing calf raises and get back to us with the results? I am in no shape to do so. Let's see if they can be made progressively stronger like other body parts (i would say yes). If that is the case, and since the calves do play an important role during sprinting/jumping, they should be not be ignored in a strength training sense. We do squats to improve the strength side of the equation for the hip/knee joints, let's see what happens if we do the same with the ankle joint. There are hip dominant and knee dominant movements that athletes do, why not ankle dominant?
    I'm not going to do that. I train in my garage, and I'm not really interested in figuring out how to do calf raises.

In the interest of contributing to the thread, my standing vertical has increased a bit since getting stronger. I also got a lot heavier. My running or one legged vertical has gone down quite a bit, but that could be attributable to laying off of the sports I used to play (basketball and ultimate) and gaining a bunch of bodyweight.

Or to just going from 26 years old to 32...

My biggest advice if you are concerned about ankle sprains is to wear a shoe that does not have a raised heel. Minimize the leverage on that ankle joint. I am very unconvinced that calf exercises would make a lick of difference in lateral ankle stability.

Quote Originally Posted by bugbomb View Post
    I'm not going to do that. I train in my garage, and I'm not really interested in figuring out how to do calf raises.

In the interest of contributing to the thread, my standing vertical has increased a bit since getting stronger. I also got a lot heavier. My running or one legged vertical has gone down quite a bit, but that could be attributable to laying off of the sports I used to play (basketball and ultimate) and gaining a bunch of bodyweight.

Or to just going from 26 years old to 32...

My biggest advice if you are concerned about ankle sprains is to wear a shoe that does not have a raised heel. Minimize the leverage on that ankle joint. I am very unconvinced that calf exercises would make a lick of difference in lateral ankle stability.
    I actually tore the deltoid ligament--the ligament on the medial side of the ankle, so I'm going to have to worry about medial ankle instability in the future. I plan to always wear an ankle brace from now on.

Yuck. Mine have always been lateral (stepping on someone's foot while cutting).

Quote Originally Posted by bugbomb View Post
    Yuck. Mine have always been lateral (stepping on someone's foot while cutting).
    Dislocated my ankle as I was about to catch a touchdown catch on the first play of the game lol. Not sure how it happened, but it was a non contact play. The doc said he had no idea how I tore my deltoid ligament from an inversion injury.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by silachoo View Post
    @sean - this thread here:

Can a certain type of knee cave never be fixed?

@John - I am not sure about my GF situation, I may ask her if she is ok with me posting a picture of it. However I am fairly certain mine arose from having flat feet. My ankles have always tilted inwards (causes an unusual wear on my shoes) and I think that influenced my knees slightly caving inwards. Mine you can't really tell unless you are looking for it.
    Ah I started that thread. The person in question has to some extent improved it.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567