starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Dear coaches,

I'd like to get some feedback on my deadlift form. Getting myself in the starting position has been most difficult for me so far and I don't know if I'm doing it right here. I also know that the set took too much time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tRKBh_y9CY

Also, is the video quality okay this time? If not, any recommendations for a cheap camera to record future training videos?

Thanks for your time and effort. Would love to attend a seminar if you ever happen to come to Austria.

You are drpping your hips when you squeeze up. This mistake is so common that, in the set-up instructions, we say: DON'T DROP YOUR HIPS. We even say that it's the hard part. So dropping your hips is the easy way out, and you are taking it.

In summation:

1) don't drop your hips when you squeeze up (this will be hard, but do it anyway).
    2) Buy some full-sized plates so the bar is the correct height off the ground.

Thanks, coach! When I raise my hips it seems that I cannot get into a correct starting position no matter how hard I try to squeeze my chest up. My lower back is always round, at least a bit, and as soon as I try to pull there's flexion my lower back. I've tried to lower the weight but there is a point where my back always rounds a bit when my hips are high. Could I be handycapped because of my body proportions or is it just me being stupid? I thought about going sumo but I really would like to do the deadlifts like described in the book.

Get some correct diameter (450mm) plates on the bar, and ready the sticky on filming form checks at the top of the forum, esp. with respect to the deadlift, and film another set. It may be you are in the correct position, but I can't seee your entire set-up from this angle, and the spacing of the bar off the floor is critical.

The other thing I'll point out is that even at this extremely light weight, and with a belt, and in your preferred set-up position, you are STILL losing low back extension. Can you see this? You HAVE to back up to a weight at which this does not happen. You HAVE to learn to feel this and control it. Lose the belt - it's unnecessary at this low a weight and may be an impediment.
    Last edited by Steve Hill; 10-19-2015 at 08:09 PM.

Thanks, coach. Yesterday I probably hurt my back, because today I'm having quite a bit of sciatia whenever I stand up straight or try to tighten my abs. I also had a herniated disc several years ago. I never really touched heavier weights for squats and deadlifts because I was afraid of hurting myself again. I started SS in April 2015 and since then my back has never been better, but my DL have always been a problem as I still can't do them with correct form.

My question is this: do you think it would be better for me to emphasize on getting my DL form and DL weights up before I continue with SS? My squats are higher than my DL and I'm starting to believe that this could attribute to my back problems. I know you're training your back, too, with squats, but could my back be lacking proper DL training? Should I pause SS until my DL is higher than my squat? I don't know what to do at the moment and I don't want to hurt my back any more.

When I was in your situation it was easier for me to SQ than DL. So I SQ and ran the weight up slowly, while catching up the DL after rehabbing my back.

Your next question will be "Well, how did you rehab your back?"
    A: Perfect deadlifts and a lot of them at light weights, eventually cutting reps and sets down to the normal progression with heavier weights. It's a long slow arduous process. You're probably always going to have sciatica. That's just life and shitty genetics. BUT, you can either have sciatica with a weak back or sciatica with a strong back. Choose wisely, and get with a coach in person. Best $$$ you can spend right now.

In the meantime, massage and chiro helped me, as did decompression.

Thanks, coach. I'm not worried about the sciatica, my first herniated disc was much worse and I came out of it almost pain free. In the past I already searched the forum for threads linked to herniated discs so I know what some coaches and people have done to rehab their backs. I'll buy a second belt and do some hanging spine decompression. I don't know about the coach since I'm living in the middle of nowhere, but I'll try. If I don't find one then I will invest in a better camera so I can provide good footage of my future deadlifts. THe only think I'll know for sure is that I won't give up and keep going. Thanks for your time, coach. I really appreciate it.

I don't think you need a new camera.

Still no diagnose to this point. Getting a CT scan next week. Comment from the doctor after I told him that I'm lifting weights to strenghten my back: "oh, there's a lot of pressure on the discs during weight training, that's bad". I love doctors. Coach, you think I can do some bench presses, chin ups and dips in the meantime?

starting strength coach development program
    They are giving you a CT scan for possible disc herniation? An MRI would be preferable. Do whatever you can while letting pain be your guide.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast