starting strength gym
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sorry to see so few Masters at the Fall Classic

Default Sorry to see so few Masters at the Fall Classic

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Having only one category for the Master's Division is a bit daunting to be sure. How is a 68 year old to compete against a 40 year old? Still it was disappointing to see so few people lifting who were any where near my age. I was the oldest in Chicago. How about planning to go to the 2016 event? I did win my age group. That was mostly because I was the only one in it.

Well, we did wind up applying the McColloch coefficients to lifters in the Master's division. Once I have summarized the results, the same will be done with the combined data.

Be patient Carson. I may be in the process of moving back to Illinois next Fall, but I will definitely be back in your neck of the woods for some friendly competition for the 2017 Classic. I had to bail on this year's because of work, but I'm retiring soon. So see ya later!

In my own case I cannot use a straight bar for squats. So I can't do squat. I understand the problem of trying to accommodate that situation. I would not have won a stuffed animal. I'm not concerned about that. I'm competing against myself. I just wish some more of the elders had come on over. Mark, you scare me. How am I to win my age group if you show up? (If I could figure out how to put a smiley face here I would.)

This is very common in competition, especially in raw lifting. Seems like most of the older lifters I see at competition are geared. I think this is mostly because it was in vogue during their younger days and they may perceive it as being something that prevents injuries. I'm completely open to others weighing in on motivation here and disagreement.

I like the idea of a masters coefficient although it does seem, to me, to favor the elderly in disproportion. But, at the end of the day, there will be very few competitions where you have someone going head to head with you - especially when you consider weight class, amateur vs. pro or elite, raw vs. equipped, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Mark, you scare me. How am I to win my age group if you show up? (If I could figure out how to put a smiley face here I would.)
    Not to worry. I had no intention of demonstrating The Monkey Dance in my post. I have to plead guilty to having lived and worked in an environment that seemed to make sure that even us silverbacks have to represent. Seriously, I want to meet you and shoot the breeze.

So I am sorry for the implied one-upmanship. Hells, bells. I'd be glad to see someone else in what appears to be my rather odd segment of the USPA Raw lifting community. So I'll look forward to palling around with you in a year or so.

Mark,

I've seen your usual numbers. You would not have to try to beat me. It would just be fun to have you around to discuss stuff. Did you go to the event in your area? I noticed when I went to APA some younger lifters (heck, they were all younger) used some gear, but most were lifting raw. Everyone lifted raw at the classic in Chicago. It will be good to meet you in a year or so.

How about planning to go to the 2016 event?
    I am moving to Michigan next summer, Rochester Hills area, and would enjoy attending a competition. Could you post a link or provide some details?

I turn 42 in April, I assume I will compete in the Master Division? Is there a bodyweight associated with Masters competitors?

Thanks in advance.

It would just be fun to have you around to discuss stuff. Did you go to the event in your area? I noticed when I went to APA some younger lifters (heck, they were all younger) used some gear, but most were lifting raw. Everyone lifted raw at the classic in Chicago. It will be good to meet you in a year or so.
    I'm looking forward to it. Us old guys manage to find a lot to chat about. Before the meet, between attempts, and afterward over some potent potables.

I had entered Tom Campitelli's Oakland meet, but work stuff overcame good intentions and I had to bail. As a side note, I let Tom know that a few weeks out and suggested he could backfill with some standby entrants. I didn't ask for a refund, but he did so anyway. He's a real class act.

I've noticed that a surprising number of masters lifters do so equipped. Squeezing into that gear does not tempt me in the slightest. I did consider competing in my 20's and 30's but when the support gear became ubiquitous, it turned me off the whole endeavor. But raw lifting is making a huge resurgence.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    So we won't see you there in 2016?
    You might. I'll find out in a week or so if I might get laid off in January of 2016. If I am, we'll be shaking the pixie dust off our shoes, selling our house, and rearranging our finances (social security, pension and such) and heading back home. We've been out here 35 years so far and while it was a great career move for both of us at the time, it's time to return to some sanity.

So if I get the nod, we'll be back in plenty of time to meet up in 2016.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast