starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5/3/1 FSL Multiple Sets

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Culican View Post
    I didn't like it because the weight seemed too light, especially on the 555 days.
    That was my experience as well. I ran 5/3/1 for a few years on a BBB variant and got my best results by adding sets of 5 at 80% when I needed extra volume.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by bbuszard View Post
    That was my experience as well. I ran 5/3/1 for a few years on a BBB variant and got my best results by adding sets of 5 at 80% when I needed extra volume.
    That is essentially Second Set Last; SSL obviously looks like:

Week 1: SSL (75%)
    Week 2: SSL (80%)
    Week 3: SSL (85%)

Worth considering for a short time: "SSL is ONLY used IMMEDIATELY AFTER a reset. For 2 cycles. " -- Jim Wendler

Mr. Wendler seems to like the 5's Progression these days, if you simply want more volume in general.
    I know he uses it with the "Hardgainers" variations I've seen.
    He recommends FSL 5x5 in the "Beginner" variations.
    I might try 5's Progression with 5x5 FSL for a few cycles.
    40 Reps should be plenty of volume in most cases, if not too much.
    JM calls part of this the "Breaking Bad Template".

For what it is worth, I do not find FSLx12,x10,x8 to be "too light" myself. I'm not far into the experiment but I am definitely feeling the effort and effects.
    I don't think doing a single set of 8, 10 or even AMRAP really takes advantage of FSL's "potential." So far FSLx12x10x8 almost has a "Goldilocks" feel.

"Let's just make it simple and say this: if you want to make steady progress and continue to build speed and strength (and do a good job of adhereing to Prilipins ideas) - 5's pro and FSL is the way to go.
    If you are going to use SSL, it has to be programmed correctly as part of a bigger/longer program. Usually around 18 weeks.

But steady progress is strengh and power may not appeal to you. I'm not sure what your goals are. Good luck. " -- Jim Wendler himself
    Last edited by kajukenbo; 11-18-2016 at 01:30 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12