starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weightlifting Shoes

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominicus View Post
    I face a similar question to the OP. Although I'm willing to pay for quality, there's not much to choose from in this part of the world. In the best supplied lifting shoe shop in the country that I'm going to visit tomorrow they have mainly Adidas, Inov and Reebok shoes for sale.
    I'm ready to go with whatever fits best regardless of brand. Any thoughts?
    I'd be interested in thoughts on the Inov8s as well. These and the Adidas seem the easiest to get in Australia but I've not seen any real reviews or thoughts on the Inov8s

Quote Originally Posted by Dominicus View Post
    I face a similar question to the OP. Although I'm willing to pay for quality, there's not much to choose from in this part of the world. In the best supplied lifting shoe shop in the country that I'm going to visit tomorrow they have mainly Adidas, Inov and Reebok shoes for sale.
    I'm ready to go with whatever fits best regardless of brand. Any thoughts?
    Of those 3 brands, get the Adidas Power Perfect II's or Adipowers if you can. Some of Inov-8 and Reebok's offerings are serviceable, but inferior to both Adidas shoes as dedicated lifting (rather than CrossFitting) shoes, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Of those 3 brands, get the Adidas Power Perfect II's or Adipowers if you can. Some of Inov-8 and Reebok's offerings are serviceable, but inferior to both Adidas shoes as dedicated lifting (rather than CrossFitting) shoes, in my opinion.
    Skillin is the heel height the same for both brands you suggest?
    Last edited by lou t; 01-07-2016 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lou t View Post
    Skillin is the heel height the same for both brands you suggest?
    Adidas makes both. I think the heel on the PPII (my personal preference) is actually slightly higher by feel, but I think (may be wrong) they're both advertised as 0.75"

I have the Inov-8 lifters. I've worn them for over a year, but they're my first pair of lifting shoes. They're comfortable, well-constructed, and the sole is solid. I'd prefer a different sole covering, as these don't have perfect traction on painted wood floors while bench pressing. Traction is fine for everything else. Since I've never had anything else I can't compare. But so far I don't foresee any drawbacks. Inov-8 is known as a light weight trail running shoe maker. These fit that same niche. They probably could be used for Crossfit (and based on the colors are clearly marketed there) but are serviceable as pure lifters. I got them because they were on sale and Do-Wins were out of stock.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Wei Rui is better design, poorer construction. Wait until the Pendlay Do-wins go on sale for $99 with free shipping. $19 extra won't kill you. Or, better yet, save that and another $25 and get the PPII's. Both will last twice as long as the Wei Rui's, so they're cheaper in the long run.
    Follow his advice on shoes. I bought a pair of the Wei Rui POWERmax a year ago. Skillin said his strap d ring broke. Three weeks later the d ring broke on mine. I wasn't even tightening them down all that much. Just poor quality materials. Maybe they're made like American cars. You buy cheap, you get junk. The more expensive models might hold up though. I ended up cutting the straps off. Other than that they aren't terrible performance wise. My lifts are though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12