starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What should I do if I can't complete 3x5?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris McCarthy View Post
    It's interesting that the advice from some quarters on here is always "read the book" when surely experience shows that "reading the book" isn't a very useful learning technique for a whole lot of people.
    When people recommend reading the book, it's because the OP presents issues that are basic and covered in the book. This is good advice for a novice, because if the OP is waiting 2 minutes between sets without having thought critically about it otherwise, there are probably many other pieces of knowledge that can be derived from the book.

NoodleArms Guest

Hey don't get me wrong the book is definitely useful it's just that I'm really forgetful and can't retain everything I read. Like the bit about resting, I honestly don't even remember reading that, yet I must have read it because I did read the book cover to cover.

Another question: Is there a maximum amount of rest I can take between sets, which I should not exceed in order to obtain maximum benefits?

Quote Originally Posted by NoodleArms View Post
    Another question: Is there a maximum amount of rest I can take between sets, which I should not exceed in order to obtain maximum benefits?
    Well, you don't want to waste time and you don't want to get totally cold as that might result in you getting hurt. Probably 8-10 minutes as a max near the end of LP.

Hey don't get me wrong the book is definitely useful it's just that I'm really forgetful and can't retain everything I read. Like the bit about resting, I honestly don't even remember reading that, yet I must have read it because I did read the book cover to cover.

Try reading a few pages at a time. I've read the book several times over just a few pages at time.

Read the book. Yes, you won't retain even half of it.

Then, when you have a problem, re-read sections of the book having to do with that problem. When you find the answer or answers regarding what you could be doing wrong, you will retain that much better.

I have read the book but forgot a lot of the info in it. I am dyslexic and can't absorb much info by reading a book. I simply forget what I read if I try to take in too much at once. I find it easiest to remember stuff by reading short, to the point articles, like the one just posted above, which was helpful, thanks for posting it.
    Try taking notes as you read. Even if you never look at them again the act of writing activates different parts of your brain as compared to just reading and that helps cement the information in your memory. Also you can write yourself a brief set of instructions for each lift to put in your logbook (you're keeping a logbook right?) and use them to help set up each lift until it becomes second nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris McCarthy View Post
    It's interesting that the advice from some quarters on here is always "read the book" when surely experience shows that "reading the book" isn't a very useful learning technique for a whole lot of people.
    But reading message boards is somehow different?

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    But reading message boards is somehow different?
    It's definitely different - the content is presented in smaller pieces, and it's more interactive which makes a tremendous difference for many people.

Of course "reading message boards" isn't necessarily a "better" solution because you don't get the whole big picture organized into a coherent narrative - you get a snapshot of whatever the topic pertains to.

starting strength coach development program
    Um...yes.

There's a clear difference between being able to sit on your todd reading a book and absorbing most of it and being able to read something and ask questions / discuss that thing more-or-less immediately - some people do fine on the first approach, others may require or prefer the second.

Just look at some of the form check requests - there are some people who are pretty close from the get-go, others who look like they have no idea of the prescribed way of doing things - now in some cases that's because they are too lazy to read the book, but in others it's because they need to start off with a few things and work through it on a step-by-step basis.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12