starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best bar and plates?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    What's your budget? Are you going to be doing the Olympic lifts?

Unlimited budget, no Olympic lifts> Eleiko PL bar + Eleiko or Ivanko plates
    Unlimited budget, some Olympic lifts> Eleiko PL bar + Eleiko OL bar + Eleiko iron and bumper plates
    Fairly substantial, but not unlimited budget, no olympic lifts>Ohio power bar (KG edition) or Texas Power bar + Eleiko or Ivanko steel plates
    Fairly substantial, but not unlimited budget, + olympic lifts> Ohio power bar (KG edition) or Texas Power bar + Rogue Euro or 28mm bar + Eleiko or Ivanko steel plates+ Rogue competition bumpers
    Moderate budget, no olympic lifts>Ohio power bar (KG edition) or Texas Power bar + York legacy iron plates
    Moderate budget, + olympic lifts>Ohio power bar (KG edition) or Texas Power bar + Rogue Euro or 28mm bar +York legacy iron plates+ rogue training bumpers
    Low budget, no olympic lifts> Ohio power bar (KG edition) or Texas Power bar + rogue training bumpers (or used calibrated CAP/York/other iron plates)
    Low budget, + olympic lifts> Rogue B/R bar + rogue training bumpers
    Why do you recommend the 20kg edition over the 45lb edition? Is the 20kg bar of substantial better quality to justify the extra money?

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    I don't agree with that. I find them to be of similar build and construction quality, with the biggest differentiating factor being their knurl. You're crazy if you think the TPB is "whippy".
    Lol
    York b &r is a noodle compared to the tpb

Quote Originally Posted by idlehands View Post
    Lol
    York b &r is a noodle compared to the tpb
    Wait, you think the B&R is whippy? If so, I disagree.

Isn't the TPB 28.5mm dia vs the B&R's 29mm dia? Seems like the B&R would be stiffer.

Also, regarding 20kg vs 45lb OPB it seems like the only difference is the friction welded sleeves giving you a little extra loadable sleeve length. Most mortals won't have a problem with running out of loadable sleeve length if using iron plates. If there's some other reason to spend $75 more on the 20kg version I would be interested to hear what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Isn't the TPB 28.5mm dia vs the B&R's 29mm dia? Seems like the B&R would be stiffer.
    For the slow lifts, you would need to be lifting around 650+ to notice any tangible difference. The TPB has seen massive, massive lifts done on it - I would never refer to it as "whippy".
    Last edited by Cody; 02-28-2016 at 06:33 PM.

Wait, you think the B&R is whippy? If so, I disagree.
    The old York b &rs looked less stiff than the tpb at the last ss meet I was at. I wouldn't say whippy

Quote Originally Posted by idlehands View Post
    The old York b &rs looked less stiff than the tpb at the last ss meet I was at. I wouldn't say whippy
    Was it a TPB or 30mm Texas squat bar? Does not make any sense for a bar of larger diameter to be less stiff if they're both steel and the other dimensions are similar.

I don't agree with that. I find them to be of similar build and construction quality, with the biggest differentiating factor being their knurl. You're crazy if you think the TPB is "whippy".
    Do you not understand what quotations mean? The b&r is a 205k psi bar and 29mm in diameter. The TPB is 28.5 and 186k. When I say whippey I mean it oscillates more under heavy weights than the B&R. This probably has some to do with the difference in construction as well since the weights are out a little further than with the TPB. I wouldn't say the TPB is whippey by any means and compared to the numerous generic bars and name brand ones I've used over the years it is my favorite, which is why I bought it, because it's fucking awesome (and a steal because I got mine for $185 at a meet).
    Last edited by Keith Norman; 02-28-2016 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Norman View Post
    Do you not understand what quotations mean? The b&r is a 205k psi bar and 29mm in diameter. The TPB is 28.5 and 186k. When I say whippey I mean it oscillates more under heavy weights than the B&R. This probably has some to do with the difference in construction as well since the weights are out a little further than with the TPB. I wouldn't say the TPB is whippey by any means and compared to the numerous generic bars and name brand ones I've used over the years it is my favorite, which is why I bought it, because it's fucking awesome (and a steal because I got mine for $185 at a meet).
    You said it was "by far the better bar" and that it's "a lot 'whippier'", both of which I disagree with. This sort of speech is sensationalism at best and wrong at worst.

You are talking about tensile rating of the steels, which I've repeated (as well as others who know what's up) that tensile rating is a marketing gimmick, and irrelevant. The only thing that matters is yield strength, but essentially no one lists it. There's much more to a bar than just it's tensile rating, anyway. This rating also has 0 to do with the bar's performance.

I've owned both bars, and have put some decent weight up, and lifted on other's as well. I'm confident in saying that outside of the knurl, these bars perform similarly and are of very similar build quality.

Edit: You're the guy that was talking about that crappy Pro-Maxima rack in the garage gym thread... No wonder...
    Last edited by Cody; 02-28-2016 at 08:22 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Where did I say it was by far the better bar? I prefer it to my B&R bar, but mostly the difference is like splitting hairs to be honest. I never said it was a lot whippier either. That being said I gave my opinion if you don't agree with my opinion fine.

Anyways, Jordan I heard you bought a Texas Deadlift bar. How is it? I was thinking about buying one. How does it compare to your Okie Deadlift bar?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast