starting strength gym
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Exercise science degree info check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    While the marathon, as a performance, is undoubtedly tougher than 405x5x5 simply as a function of time and energy, which performance takes longer to achieve and requires more consistent dedication? As a benchmark for marathon time, what is acceptable here? ~4 hours?

ETA: This discussion answers another post here about humans being built for long distance running.
    Christ. Took me almost 3 years to get to 405x5x5.

Training for a sub 4 hour marathon would not take nearly that long.

It depends if someone is racing a marathon, and trying to beat an established PR or win a race, or merely trying to finish. To change the subject, I know of a man who won a bet by squatting 405 and then the same day running a marathon under 3 hours.

Isn't the point here more about which is more intimidating, or appears harder, to an untrained individual looking to start 'exercising'?

For that person, starting running is much easier conceptually and less intimidating than starting lifting. Even training for a marathon is easier to conceive. Most people, if they think about it at all, don't think ever squatting 405 is actually possible for them. And most coaches and exercise science experts don't either.

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post

Also, centuries (100mile bike rides) don't say much at all about "hard" work. This mainly depends on terrain and gearing. You can't coast during a marathon or a squat.
    Do a 100 mile MTB race with 12k feet of climbing then come back and tell me it wasn't difficult. This is a race, not a casual ride thru the woods.

I've wrestled in HS/college, lifted post college, then got into the endurance thing for a few years, now back to lifting with little cardio. I can honestly say that 100 mile race was the most difficult thing I've done in terms of mental toughness

Everyone trying to say X weight squats = Y miles running aren't looking at things very clearly.

Any endurance event can be completed via walking, given enough time. Strength events don't work that way. Also, different people are built for different things. Long legs are great for running, short legs are great for lifting.

Back when I was much, much lighter and uninjured, I set a PR 10k pace of 34:15. Before my second girl was born, I managed a 500x5 squat, and I'm back around that territory now. When I was relatively fast, there is no way I could have been strong. Now that I'm relatively strong, there's no way that I can be fast. They're competing adaptations.

That's the counter to the original theory posed by your professor. We adapt to the stresses imposed on us. We are built to adapt; not to be endurance only, not to be strength only, but to adapt.

Default Exercise science degree info check

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Everyone trying to say X weight squats = Y miles running aren't looking at things very clearly.

That's the counter to the original theory posed by your professor. We adapt to the stresses imposed on us. We are built to adapt; not to be endurance only, not to be strength only, but to adapt.
    Thank you for bringing this inane discussion back to addressing the original question.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Baraki View Post
    Thank you for bringing this inane discussion back to addressing the original question.
    also, even if we are "designed" to be endurance/aerobic organisms or whatever.

what if fact is wrong with adapting ourselves to the other end of the spectrum/strength/power/anaerobic side ?
    I'm not seeing the downside.

So we good at one thing 'naturally', why fuck around and pursue that futher to the nth degree? pursue the other end of the spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    The only tuff mtb guys do all mountain and downhill.

It was mentally hard because he not tuff mantaly.
    Good one brah

Sorry to get off topic.

But yeah, agreed that the human body will adapt to whatever stressors are applied. Certain body types and other genetic traits will make one more easily adaptable to the type of stress applied ("good responders"), but the bottom line is that the human body will respond to the overreach/recovery/adaptation cycle

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    Christ. Took me almost 3 years to get to 405x5x5.
    Took me almost 3 years to get 405 x 1 consistently. Dammit, Hanley.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Took me almost 3 years to get 405 x 1 consistently. Dammit, Hanley.
    Yeah but that's like 3x BW, right?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast