starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

Default Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    This is my first form check, so thanks to anyone who can check my form!

This video is a set of 5 at 430lbs.

Sorry if the quality is too poor.

Yeah, the video quality is pretty bad. Your biggest problem is that you are flexing your low back pretty significantly. You are also trying to slam yourself into position. Please read the sticky on how to film form checks. Also, please refer to the sticky on pulls from the floor. You have to squeeze your chest up and hold on to that as you pull. There is should be nothing ballistic about your deadlifts. Everyone I know who tries to pull really, really fast looks like shit on their pulls. Squeeze up, embrace the suffering, stay tighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Yeah, the video quality is pretty bad. Your biggest problem is that you are flexing your low back pretty significantly. You are also trying to slam yourself into position. Please read the sticky on how to film form checks. Also, please refer to the sticky on pulls from the floor. You have to squeeze your chest up and hold on to that as you pull. There is should be nothing ballistic about your deadlifts. Everyone I know who tries to pull really, really fast looks like shit on their pulls. Squeeze up, embrace the suffering, stay tighter.
    I appreciate the response. Posting the video was more of an after-thought when I got home from the gym; I'll follow the sticky for form checks next time.

I'll try squeezing my chest up better next time and see if that fixes my lower back. I think the reason I try to pull really fast is because getting it to leave the floor is the hardest part for me, but maybe this is just a consequence of my setup or the weight being too heavy.

The start of the deadlift is always difficult. You will not get a heavy lift moving quickly from a dead stop.