starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    When I started the novice progression over a year ago I gave up on conventional deadlifts for several reasons... They hurt my back. I felt that I couldn't get into the correct starting position. I could lift a lot more pulling sumo.

So I decided to do sumo deadlifts instead. (My current sumo 1RM is 441lbs). However, pulling sumo has started to aggravate an old injury in my hip. Rather than try and change my sumo form, I thought I may as well use the opportunity to transition to conventional deadlifts.

Here is the last conventional deadlift set I did:

Deadlift Form Check (130kg / 287lb) - YouTube

Sorry if the weight (287lbs) is a bit light, but it is only my third workout trying conventional and I am currently doing 11lb (5kg) jumps. I will upload another one when it gets heavier, I just want to make sure that I am not going to injure myself for now.

I don't find the weight that difficult, but I setting my back is extremely difficult, (like 75% of the effort I am putting into the lift is just trying to set my back) and I think it comes unlocked when the weight leaves the floor.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

You are able to get your back in extension just fine. In fact, you are probably capable of overextending your back and tweaking it that way. Stop trying so hard. You go though three waves of extending your spine coupled with at least two big breaths while you are doing it on each rep. During all of that, you nudge yourself and the bar out of position. Just do the steps. Shins touch the bar. Knees go out. Squeeze the chest up (once). Big breath. Drag the bar up the shins. Your deadlift is fine. I would rather see you pull in lifting shoes, however.