starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unexpected finding re: shoes (comparing Chucks to PowerLifts)

Default Unexpected finding re: shoes (comparing Chucks to PowerLifts)

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    So my regular lifting shoes are Adidas PowerLifts, which I know are regarded very much as an "entry level" lifting shoe. I'm on vacation this week and forgot my gym bag, so I went to the gym (twice) and just wore my Converse thin soles. To my surprise, I thought they were as good or perhaps even better to squat in.

Granted, I've been going light (work sets at 275, no belt), but I've done that both in my PLs and my Chucks and found the Chucks pretty damn good. These are low tops, in leather, with the thin sole, so they aren't that different than some of the "cross training" shoes out there (like the Reebok CrossFit line), but there's almost nothing to compress (insole thin, too), the leather stretches a bit and I feel pretty stable. Now, perhaps this simply proves that the PL is a crappy lifting shoe...

Anyone else try lifting in these (vs canvas Chucks with standard sole thickness in either high or low top)?

Quote Originally Posted by DannyP View Post
    So my regular lifting shoes are Adidas PowerLifts, which I know are regarded very much as an "entry level" lifting shoe. I'm on vacation this week and forgot my gym bag, so I went to the gym (twice) and just wore my Converse thin soles. To my surprise, I thought they were as good or perhaps even better to squat in.

Granted, I've been going light (work sets at 275, no belt), but I've done that both in my PLs and my Chucks and found the Chucks pretty damn good. These are low tops, in leather, with the thin sole, so they aren't that different than some of the "cross training" shoes out there (like the Reebok CrossFit line), but there's almost nothing to compress (insole thin, too), the leather stretches a bit and I feel pretty stable. Now, perhaps this simply proves that the PL is a crappy lifting shoe...

Anyone else try lifting in these (vs canvas Chucks with standard sole thickness in either high or low top)?
    I've been toying with swapping the competition in soles from my romaleos and the in sole in the chucks (which is squishy, even in the thin sole shoe). I also think the leather version is the better potion than the canvas

Not related, but why do people get "entry level" shoes when they know they need to replace them sooner or later. Might as well go all out and get a pair of adipowers or romaleos to avoid buying twice down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by heavyiron8 View Post
    Not related, but why do people get "entry level" shoes when they know they need to replace them sooner or later. Might as well go all out and get a pair of adipowers or romaleos to avoid buying twice down the road.
    For me it was the fact that I'd never lifted in lifting shoes before, wasn't quite sure how I'd like it, or what exactly I was looking for, so wanted to gauge that with something cheap at first.

I pull and press in chucks. I also spent some time squatting in them but have gone back to lifters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The woman who does not require validation from anyone is the most feared individual on the planet.”
    ― Mohadesa Najumi

The Reebok Power Shoe for everything. It's the only shoe designed by powerlifters, for powerlifting.

Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    Isn't the crane boot designed by powerlifters, for powerlifters?

Also, why are powerlifters more qualified to design a shoe than, say, shoemakers?
    I actually have a pair of the Crain "boots", they are for squatting only. I might hate them more than my Adipowers.

Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    Size & $?

Also you hate everything anyway, right?
    Laughed out loud at 5 guys at this one.

Thanks ! Needed a laugh today

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    The Reebok Power Shoe for everything. It's the only shoe designed by powerlifters, for powerlifting.
    Are you talking about one of these two:

Reebok CrossFit Lifter Plus 2.0 - White | Reebok US

or

Reebok CrossFit Lite TR - Black | Reebok US

or something else entirely?

That first pair looks interesting because it seems to offer some of the features on the $200 Nike and Adidas shoes but closer to the price point of the PowerLifts.

starting strength coach development program
    The black ones (there are many color options) screw heels.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast