starting strength gym

Thread: Bench Press - Uneven Pec Development

Default Bench Press - Uneven Pec Development

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello,

Ever since I have started doing barbell bench press as part of the starting strength program, I have noticed that my left pec seems to always feel more targeted during the exercise than my right pec. Initially, I attributed this to muscle imbalance, and that my left pec is just weaker than my right; with time, I thought, it would even out.

2 months later, however, and I'm still feeling bench press more on my left side. It's gotten to the point where my left pec is noticeably bigger than my right pec, which doesn't make any sense whatsoever--if my left pec is weaker, I would expect it to be smaller. I tried switching over to dumbbell bench press, yet even when I use DB's I STILL feel it more on my left side.

Video:

The only thing I have noticed (and what others notice) is that one arm tends to sit lower than the other at the portion of the press where the bar is closest to my chest, here's some pictures:

Holding dumbbell:
    http://imgur.com/ffSC79g.jpg

Simply laying on the bench and putting my hands up like I'm holding a barbell or dumbbell:
    http://imgur.com/zaguC2R.jpg

I'm not trying to push one elbow/arm higher up than the other; this is simply me going the full range of motion with each arm. Someone recommended I just hold my right elbow/arm higher up so that it evens out with my left, but it still doesn't really address the problem since I'm still feeling it on my left side.

Here's picture's of my chest and back, if you're curious: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Any help/input would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

-Mike

Certainly uneven. Your left arm is carrying more load. the right arm is angled out more and so having an easier time. If you carried it to the extreme, your left arm would be straight up and your right would be extending sideways.

I'd suggest working really hard at keeping the bar level and centered over your sternum.

The dumbbell picture suggests that your left shoulder is forward (in the sagittal plane).

Can't tell much from the pictures, but possibly your left shoulder is 'winging' a bit.

Your right shoulder is flexed more than your left, at least that's how it appears in the pictures you have provided.

Possible causes? Many, but the first one to rule out is whether it's an instinctive bad-habit. See if you can correct it next time you are near a bench by trying to extend both shoulders equally (use the camera, see if there's an improvement when you go in conscious of what I've highlighted). In the frontal photo you posted, there's some lateral displacement going on, possibly scoliosis, but could be something else, have you ever suffered any injuries on the right side of your body? Ever had a job that's required carrying physical loads with your left side?
    Last edited by Gerhard; 07-16-2016 at 04:30 PM.

try adding an extra 1 - 2 pounds on the weaker side. I did that on presses for a while and it all evened out after a couple of sessions.

Your hands aren't even on the bar or the dumbells. Look at where you're holding them.

Your right shoulder is flexed more than your left, at least that's how it appears in the pictures you have provided.

Possible causes? Many, but the first one to rule out is whether it's an instinctive bad-habit. See if you can correct it next time you are near a bench by trying to extend both shoulders equally (use the camera, see if there's an improvement when you go in conscious of what I've highlighted). In the frontal photo you posted, there's some lateral displacement going on, possibly scoliosis, but could be something else, have you ever suffered any injuries on the right side of your body? Ever had a job that's required carrying physical loads with your left side?
    Hi Martin,

Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely try to focus more on extending both shoulders equally next time.

About two years ago I had to take an xray of my back and the doctor said I had minor scoliosis due to muscle spasms. However, when I went to an orthopedist for a follow-up he could not manually repeat the findings and said that I had no scoliosis to a significant degree (he did not take an xray, but rather ran up and down my spine with his fingers and looked at my back...) I'm still unsure if I should get another x-ray; not sure what good it will do if I know that I have scoliosis for sure or not.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisd View Post
    Certainly uneven. Your left arm is carrying more load. the right arm is angled out more and so having an easier time. If you carried it to the extreme, your left arm would be straight up and your right would be extending sideways.

I'd suggest working really hard at keeping the bar level and centered over your sternum.

The dumbbell picture suggests that your left shoulder is forward (in the sagittal plane).

Can't tell much from the pictures, but possibly your left shoulder is 'winging' a bit.
    Hey, thanks for the reply.

Would you suggest I try to focus on keeping my right arm more angled? Also do you think I should still continue to do flat bench press if I really do have a "winged" left shoulder?