starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avoid regaining weight after weight loss by strength training--who knew??

Default Avoid regaining weight after weight loss by strength training--who knew??

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Preaching to the choir, obviously, but apparently it's news to some that building muscle mass through strength training helps stave off disease, illness and excessive weight gain. And it's also the antidote for keeping weight off once you lose weight. Geniuses.

Uncannily Youthful At 67, He Embodies Antidote To Bummer '''Biggest Loser''' Study | CommonHealth

Of course, it's not easy to agree with the Dr. when he says that strength training twice a week is just as effective as 3x a week, but doing something is probably better than nothing.

what's the point of this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post
    what's the point of this thread?
    What's the point of your comment?

I dont really get it either. A scientist used proper scientific methods to confirm what most here were suspecting. Seems like a good thing?

I think the point is that people generally associate weight loss with running, and that weight training is just something else that has nothing to do with it, and won't help with it.

Have struggled with weight issues myself, but have generally gotten leaner over time after the LP, though still have a belly. Other people still insist I should just cut down the weight training and start running if I say anything about my goals to get leaner, and they think you're being weird if you talk about running interfering with your squats.

Always hated that biggest loser show. Totally wrong way to "do it" . . . on so many different levels. Fuck them (the show, creators, producers)

Link to study in ARticle:
    Of the 16 “Biggest Loser” competitors originally investigated, 14 participated in this follow-up study. Weight loss at the end of the competition was (mean ± SD) 58.3 ± 24.9 kg (P < 0.0001), and RMR decreased by 610 ± 483 kcal/day (P = 0.0004). After 6 years, 41.0 ± 31.3 kg of the lost weight was regained (P = 0.0002),

This is interesting (in Article):

Muscle is about 77 percent water. Fat is only 7 percent water.
    . . . if its true

Quote Originally Posted by 2) The Answer is Texas View Post
    I dont really get it either. A scientist used proper scientific methods to confirm what most here were suspecting. Seems like a good thing?
    That's why I started my post with "preaching to the choir." But we all know people who are trying, have tried or have given up when it comes to losing weight. I figure this is more ammo/aid/assistance.

The general public might not listen to uncle Bob about strength training to lose weight, but slap a doctor credential on him and give him a platform on NPR and those fools might take it more seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    Always hated that biggest loser show. Totally wrong way to "do it" . . . on so many different levels. Fuck them (the show, creators, producers)

Link to study in ARticle:
    Yup. Some of them got even fatter than where they started after the show.

starting strength coach development program
    There's an idea...The Biggest Gainer. Rip with a reality show. Runs contestants through LP. Jordan consults on nutrition, Sullivan is the team doc, and various SSC's "compete" as the trainers.

One season is ideal population, next season older pop, overweight pop, etc.

Never mind - I'd never find an empty rack at the gym again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast