starting strength gym

Thread: Squat + Deadlift School

Default Squat + Deadlift School

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Yo coachbroes,

I'd been high bar squatting for a while as part of Oly lifting (heresy I know) and have recently switched back to low bar. My main problem is depth I don't know how to feel the right depth, it's always either too deep or too shallow.

I've also been working on my deadlift technique with hook grip (using chalk now).

T,

As you know, we only allow one video per thread, but you are my online bud from Egypt, so I will let this one through. For squats, front oblique is not a useful angle, but even from here I can tell you that you are going too deep and you are too upright. Lean over more. Squat higher. For deadlifts, you are starting with your butt too low. Roll the bar back over the middle of your foot. Leave your hips higher at the start.

I'm sorry coach it must have slipped my mind that I can only check 1 lift.

I'm kinda confused whether I should put both lifts together or not so I'm just gonna do it.

Squat:

Still having trouble feeling depth. What do?

Deadlift:

Legit almost blacked out after the 4th set.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
    I'm sorry coach it must have slipped my mind that I can only check 1 lift.

I'm kinda confused whether I should put both lifts together or not so I'm just gonna do it.
    Please pick one. I am deluged with form checks right now and way behind in responding.

Deadlift is fine thanks coach

Your deadlifts look good for the most part, my long-limbed friend. Occasionally, you kick the bar forward, or don't lift your chest at the top, but they are okay. Consider narrowing your grip and doing fewer sets.

starting strength coach development program
    In regards to your question about depth, here's a trick I've found to be useful: place a rubber exercise band or other strap across the rack at proper squat depth so that you can cue yourself in real time.

It's not ideal (a coach or training partner with an eye for depth would be better), but it provides feedback in real time.