starting strength gym

Thread: Novice LP, First Month, Limited Progress

Default Novice LP, First Month, Limited Progress

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey, I'm Reese and this is my first post on SS. Apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong forum.

BACKGROUND: I am Male/32/6'2"/202lbs. I'm naturally skinny but fairly fit from years of bodyweight workouts and physical labor. I began bulking and weight training incorrectly (too much volume) on Dec 12, 2017 when I weighed 182 lbs. I began LP a couple of weeks later on Jan 1, 2018 by which time I had gained 8 lbs.

BEGINNING LINEAR PROGRESSION: Since Jan 1, I have gained another 12 lbs and have seen my 5RM (for 3 sets) go up by 5 lbs for bench, 30 lbs for press, 40 lbs for squat, and 45 lbs for deadlift. Power clean 5RM not yet determined. I practice form a lot (mostly from reading SS and watching Rippetoe and Alan Thrall videos), I always do warm up sets, and my 5RM is very close to having nothing left in the tank (so maybe 8-9 RPE). During this time i have been eating 4,500-5,000+ cal/day and sleeping inconsistently but usually 6-8 hours/night. Insomnia makes it difficult.

QUESTIONS: I don't understand if I'm having no real progress in strength/muscle-building and simply getting better form, better CNS and a truer 5RM or if I am progressing but inconsistently due to inconsistent sleeping/eating. Is 4,500-5,000 calories enough (I've gained 20 lbs in 6 weeks including 150-200g protein/day)? Can 6 hours of good sleep or 8 hours of restless sleep be sufficient for recovery or is 8 hours every night non-negotiable? Why would my bench increase only 5 lbs but the other lifts increased 30-45 lbs? Since I have years of bodyweight fitness experience (mostly push up, pull up, plank, air squat/lunges, plus running), is it possible I'm actually not a novice and need to begin intermediate training?

Thanks for reading and any suggestions.

Make changes to Novice LP or doing something wrong?

Hey Reese - that's twice you didn't do your homework now. Didn't read about how to frame programming Qs in a useful way for us to answer without wasting time, and didn't read about double posting your Qs elsewhere. You should read this before posting. You know, like we tell you to: READ BEFORE POSTING – Yes, This Means You

This thread is now locked, and may the Lord of Light have mercy on your soul.

Damn, and after all that time I spent on my reply...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    Damn, and after all that time I spent on my reply...
    I know, so terribly frustrating isn't it?