starting strength gym

Thread: SSB squat form

Default SSB squat form

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Any of you guys ever use the SSB? Do you typically use a more upright back angle or more horizontal? I try to lean over but can't do it without getting off balance. I've used a little bit narrower stance than low bar squats as well....

I own a SSB bar and prefer to squat with it. It does force you to be more upright than low bar. I wouldn't fight it, just keep it balanced over mid foot .

Because of my shoulders I use SSB exclusively. Yes, you will be more upright and your knee angle will be greater, and you will eventually find the groove. And you will still, from time to time, get a little forward.

^ Yep, I own an Elite FTS SSB (Yoke Bar) It is also great for Good Mornings.

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    I own a SSB bar and prefer to squat with it. It does force you to be more upright than low bar. I wouldn't fight it, just keep it balanced over mid foot .
    This. The bar also makes you fight to keep your upper back from rounding, which is different than a high bar squat. You will notice it even at lower weights if you haven't used a SSB before.

starting strength coach development program
    A SSB squat is more similar to a front squat than a low bar squat. It's easy to fall into the bad habit of rounding your upper back during a hard rep since the bar stays put on your back even if you round your back. I was taught to push my elbows up at the beginning of the ascent to prevent the upper back from rounding.