starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conditioning outside of sport?

Default Conditioning outside of sport?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello. I was wondering what are the benefits of doing dedicated conditioning work(like the prowler)outside of sports. I play lacrosse, and just like soccer, football, hockey etc. you have to be conditioned to preform optimally. But I was thinking, if the sport requires you to be conditioned, why wouldn’t doing the sport itself give you enough conditioning work? So are there really any benefits to doing maybe prowler work once a week on top of doing your sport? Thanks.

Context matters, and yes, there are benefits, but it has to be tailored to the athlete(s) in question. Stop asking poorly formed questions and focus on your training. There are a lot of articles about this subject on this site. You'd do better to read those before submitting a repetitive inquiry.

Well the only thing I found was on Rips Conditioning article where he says, “Sprints, sleds, calisthenics, and trendy CrossFit couplets are easy to coach, stopwatches and whistles look awfully coach-like, and your already-talented athletes derive no skill improvement from what is necessarily a low-skill high-intensity work exposure – if it is high-skill, you can't display the skill component with a 190 heart rate and maximum respiration rate. And they're already in shape, because they got that way almost immediately.” So it looks like he is saying that non specific conditioning is not very useful, or am I reading it wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby32 View Post
    I play lacrosse, and just like soccer, football, hockey etc. you have to be conditioned to preform optimally.
    Given your own multi-sport activities, what makes you think you are deficient in this? If you want some metrics and/or measure of what you already do, buy and wear a heart rate monitor and review the average HR level recorded on it.

I only play 1 sport lacrosse as stated above

Look guys, I just want to know if anyone has experienced any benefits from non specific conditioning(prowler, sled pulls, farmers walks, etc.)

None of them still answered my question. They explain HOW to implement conditioning, but not WHY.

As in: what are the physiological effects of conditioning?

YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    No, as in why non sport specific conditioning(prowler, sled, farmers walks, etc.) is beneficial for sports(football, lacrosse, soccer, basketball, etc.) because shouldn’t playing the sport itself condition you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast