starting strength gym

Thread: The Double Layback: A Lifter’s Approach | Carl Raghavan

Default The Double Layback: A Lifter’s Approach | Carl Raghavan

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    "I’d like to tell you what it is I’m doing, and how it’s an excellent way to get strong. I’m not a doctor, I’m not a physiotherapist, I’m not a chiropractor. I’m a lifter, a coach, and a practitioner of the much-maligned double layback – and I can offer you some insight into what I know about this incredible lift."

Read article

Great article, thank you!

Slowly, I'm getting the hang of the different pressing styles - in theory. It was pretty confusing at first. Now I need to practice.
    Also thanks for linking Bill Starr's article, that was also interesting and helpful.

Plus I learned a new word, "fugly". I'll make sure to incorporate it into my trash talking (which needs less practice than my press...).

I'm always happy when a press article comes out. I love watching the press sections of a USSF meet, especially with how different everyone's press looks. The variation is super cool to watch.
    Carl's press looks effin cool too. From the front, I can't even see his head during the beginning of the 2nd layback.

Somewhat predictably, I’ve found that the stronger I am, the fewer negative comments I receive.
    Too true. Funny how people become a lot quieter when they see their squat 1RM being tossed overhead.

If you are using the double layback in your press as one of your main upper body lifts how do you know if your upper body is in fact stronger or if you are simply using extension to place you into a more advantageous position during the second layback the press?

Sort of like push press and bending the knees - isn’t this artificially reducing the amount of work against gravity- Akin to dropping under the bar in the jerk- Or is this something for competition sake/oly lifting and not super useful in training?

So; Why not push press- but this is fine?

Further; is the double layback a natural human movement pattern, or doesn’t the weight of the bar push him into extension he wouldn’t otherwise achieve?