starting strength gym

Thread: Starting Strength Training for a future Teacher / Coach

Default Starting Strength Training for a future Teacher / Coach

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    My 18-year-old grandson has chosen to become a teacher combined with some form of coaching. Having seen several of Rip's talks about the quality of high school and collegiate coaches and their training methods I want to ensure that my grandson does not go down that path. I want him to apply the principles of Starting Strength when he becomes a coach. I will be exposing him to:

Starting Strength book
    Practical Programming book
    Mark's videos on the basic movements
    Showing him the lifts in my home gym
    At the school he goes to there is a weight room, I hope to put him on a basic program while at school.

What else can be done at this early stage in his development to prepare him to be a better coach?

In order to attend Starting Strength Coach training and certification the applicant must have a certain level of coaching experience. I am wondering if he might be able to "audit" the same training without the intent of certification???

Thanks in advance

- John

He can attend any seminar he wants to. But the most important thing, by far, for him to do now is train. He'll learn more from training himself through the process of novice to very strong lifter than any other thing in his development. There is nothing as valuable to a coach as the experience acquired by actually doing that which he wants to coach.