starting strength gym

Thread: Shoulder Mobility in The Squat

Default Shoulder Mobility in The Squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been on the program for just over 2 weeks, and am having insane trouble getting the barbell in the correct starting position for the low bar squat. I have bad shoulders from a car wreck injury many years back. Is there anything specific I can do to increase mobility? For now, the only way I can get into correct position is to have my grip so wide it interferes with the j-hooks, which presents more problems not being able to re-rack the bar after completing the lifts. I don't have any pain in my shoulders when trying to get into position, they simply just won't stretch enough to be able to bring my hands onto the bar with a usable grip width. Any help appreciated. For now (I know it's not a part of the program, but I want to at least do something until I can become mobile enough) I have been squatting high bar to at least get some squat volume in

Thanks for that video Rip. I'd not seen it before.

Tried it before my Friday Squat session with great results. It takes awhile to get into position but at least it's going to be possible now.

Agreed, gem of a video to get them shoulders warmed-up (with winter setting in, even more required). Thanks for the video, Rip.