Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Exhaustion after squat volume training

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    What coach were your working with?

Does this bother anyone else?
    My first thought exactly. Although I’m not sure we are getting the full picture here.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    What coach were your working with?

Does this bother anyone else?
    I admit I am curious.

Quote Originally Posted by heinz83 View Post
    So, if you gain weight then you cannot sleep, and therefore cannot recover. If you loose weight, you don't have enough energy to get through the day, and therefore cannot recover. You are training 7 days a week, and you are asking if changing your rep count on 1 of those 7 days is going to solve the issue?
    No no no - 3-4 days a week, usually 3
    with 2 lifts only on each of them

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    Ariel, assuming you don't make any other changes-- and you should--the first thing is you will need to eat more food, especially carbs, surrounding your volume workout. Both before and after. We don't know what your "weight loss diet" looks like but if you're gassed after doing 107kgx5x4 you're not eating enough. Period.

But, the bigger picture is this-- you shouldn't be trying to lose weight at 93kg/186cm, you should be focusing on adding 50kg to your squat and deadlift. And you shouldn't be doing it with intermediate programming.
    I tried that, did the NLP to the letter for about 6 month with weekly 1:1 sessions with a SSC, it did not end much different. got up to 107kg for 3 sets of 5, 117 for a single (squat) at abut 10-15 kg more of bodyweight and felt like shit after EVERY session, sometimes it was bad, sometimes it was terrible.
    Then progress just stopped, non of the lifts got any progress, for weeks, some went backwards.

The move to 2 lifts per workout was my idea, I could not continue feeling gassed 3 times a week. and that was while I was gaining 2-3 kg per month of body wight.
    the move to 2 lifts per workout was generally successful, in my view. Was able to set new PRs in most lifts, squat is up to 125kg for a singles (and it seems there is more to go there). And I am feeling much much better, on very day other than squat volume day.
    So going back to NLP is not something I really want to do right now, I see no point in getting stronger and feeling ether exhausted or full to the point I cant move from "over" eating. although 50kg extra on the bar does sound great.

Defiantly going to try carbs before and after squat volume days, thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    Although, it just dawned on me...are you a man or a woman?
    man.

Did you stop the one on one due to funds or schedule/something else. If not funds, consider online coaching.

I have an online SSOC who programmed me through a 20 lb weight cut and I came back stronger very quickly after. It can be done with good guidance.

62yo, 6ft was 232 and cut to 212 over 6 months. Was back to setting new PRs in a couple months. Now at 219 with slow steady weight gain.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Ariel View Post
    man.
    Do you know why he asked?

Ariel, did you get your testosterone checked?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Do you know why he asked?
    Yes I get it, I don't lift very well, and my PRs are very low. but how to get them up?

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    Ariel, did you get your testosterone checked?
    yes actually, at December, it was 19.80 nmol/L, or 571.0716 ng/100mL

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Durbin View Post
    Did you stop the one on one due to funds or schedule/something else. If not funds, consider online coaching.

I have an online SSOC who programmed me through a 20 lb weight cut and I came back stronger very quickly after. It can be done with good guidance.

62yo, 6ft was 232 and cut to 212 over 6 months. Was back to setting new PRs in a couple months. Now at 219 with slow steady weight gain.

Good luck!
    Thank you,
    I am actually NOT losing almost any of my progress, I have actually gone up a bit in some of the lifts during the wight loss.

that was my first thought, however my training is no where near TM. a 4 day split. (usually spread over more that 7 days due to personal schedule) with 2 lifts per workout. Also this does not happen on other days, and it is not carried over to other days of the week. It is specific to squat volume days, and is happening directly after training. As for sleeping, this has improved a lot since I lost a few pounds, I haven't slept this good even when I was on melatonin, this is one if not the main reason I do not want to go up in body wight.
    If you are doing lifts for heavy volume and then intensity both in the same week, you are doing a "texas method style" program. And yes, heavy volume squatting has the potential to really fuck you up. I find it just about the most stressful thing I can do, unless I want to actually try and throw in multiple work sets for deadlifts. Even while gaining weight it beats me up and leaves me sore for days.

Something doesn't add up here. You say you did NLP as written for six months. But even if you started with the empty bar for your first session, you should have hit 107 in *three* months.

We're missing some information. Who was the SSC? What is your diet (total calories and macro breakdown)? Have you had your testosterone checked? Any grave health conditions?

starting strength coach development program
    Yes I get it, I don't lift very well, and my PRs are very low. but how to get them up?
    Practical Programming for Strength Training, 3rd edition – The Aasgaard Company

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast