starting strength gym

Thread: What are the chances of accidentally dropping a power clean?

Default What are the chances of accidentally dropping a power clean?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post on and my apologies if there is a more appropriate one. I used to be paranoid about accidentally dropping a press as I can't do then inside my power rack. I was given some confidence that is unlikely to happen by the argument that if you have enough strength to get it over your head in the first place, it's unlikely you wouldn't have the strength to set it back down with control. I have not started power cleaning yet, mainly because I am very paranoid about the possibility of accidentally dropping or losing my grip on the barbell. Does anybody know what the chances of this happening actually are? Has anybody accidentally dropped or lost their grip on a power clean themselves, or know of anybody who has? Thanks in advance for the help!

I've never see it happen. If you are strong enough to pull it off the floor, why would you not be strong enough to hold it while it is sitting on your shoulders? But if you're afraid, don't try it. Never do things you're afraid of.

Good to know. I was afraid of dropping it on my floor more than anything (more so on the way up to the shoulders than after it's already there). But that is my neuroticism getting the best of me. I shouldn't let fear hold me back. Thanks for the response!

The only time you might drop a clean is when you can't rack it.
    Even then, you might be able to catch and hold it at hip level, with a bit of cushioning.
    One way to soften the blow could be to place a couple of mats just fore and aft of each plate, without them touching the plate itself; that way, should the bar fall, it should land on the mat, rather than on the floor.
    But really, it's not that common at all.

IPB